Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trump and the Media  (Read 652 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
Trump and the Media
« on: February 27, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »
By banning the media and by the media degrading itself it is leading us into a place where it will be super easy to hide things from, manipulate people, and eventually use this to nefarious ends. Trump did not start this problem but by banning certain media groups he moved us further along in a dangerous direction.

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
Re: Trump and the Media
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 01:21:43 PM »
I totally disagree. By taking away the offending reporters that have been acting like politicians instead of reporters, he may just force the to start reporting the news instead of creating the news. It isn't like he is barring all of the reporters. Just the Democratic reporters.  :embarassed:
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
Where does one draw the line and who gets to decide who is acting like what? What damage is it doing to the institution of the media? This is dangerous territory.

Offline herbhome

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »
A huge part of Free Speech is anyone, media included can say anything, for example, "Democratic reporters reports are fake." :smile:

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 05:52:39 PM »
"Where does one draw the line"

Across the line is called slander. Also, a person can be held liable if their speech causes harm or death.

IE: A person announces in a theater the tornado siren is just being tested. No need to seek shelter. Then the tornado destroys the building, although there was shelter nearby and plenty of time for them to have gotten there. The announcer, and his employer, if told to say it, can be liable for all injuries.

Anything you say or print can bring on consequences.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jvalentour

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:26:50 PM »
Freedom of speech is the constitutional guarantee that government cannot prohibit what you say or write as long as it does no harm.  (Like yelling fire in a crowed theatre).

Politicians have been incredibly nasty to each other since the days of the Federalist Papers (Revolutionary War era).  Do a google search or the things Burr and Hamilton said about each other. 

Trump is not prohibiting anyone from saying, broadcasting, or writing anything.  To say he is prohibiting free speech is just flat wrong and ill informed.  He is simply giving an opinion.  You don't like it?  Turn off the TV.

Obama was famous for intentionally omitting certain journalists from White House private gaggles.    Now that Trump does so it's a crime? 

With all due respect, please be more informed as to why Presidents do things, what their predecessors have done and the traditions of American government.   Take a moment and ask why is Pelosi saying that, or why is Ryan saying something?  Educated your mind. 

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 10:56:21 PM »
I woudl like for someone to point out where I said anything about free speech being violated? They were banned from his press conference. I am not fan of the MSM but Trump is making it easier, and it was already easy, to discredit anyone in the media and any factual reporting and this is a situation that can be abused easily by a talented and no good person. That is the point I am making.  Trump, possibly unwittingly, is further eroding a safe guard. Granted they did a lot of damage themself but the questions I posed earlier still stand.

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »
Where does one draw the line on when one is no longer part of the media but now acting and operating like a politician and who gets to decide who is acting like what? What damage is it doing to the institution of the media? This is dangerous territory.

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 11:01:53 PM »
Freedom of speech is the constitutional guarantee that government cannot prohibit what you say or write as long as it does no harm.  (Like yelling fire in a crowed theatre).

Politicians have been incredibly nasty to each other since the days of the Federalist Papers (Revolutionary War era).  Do a google search or the things Burr and Hamilton said about each other. 

Trump is not prohibiting anyone from saying, broadcasting, or writing anything.  To say he is prohibiting free speech is just flat wrong and ill informed.  He is simply giving an opinion.  You don't like it?  Turn off the TV.

Obama was famous for intentionally omitting certain journalists from White House private gaggles.    Now that Trump does so it's a crime? 

With all due respect, please be more informed as to why Presidents do things, what their predecessors have done and the traditions of American government.   Take a moment and ask why is Pelosi saying that, or why is Ryan saying something?  Educated your mind.

. In all due respect you sound quite a bit like someone who does not read things very well because I never mentioned a free speech issue. You sound like someone who does not know what you are talking about as you can look back on my profile and see I did not join the forum until the end of Obama's presidency and that I did not link an article to mention what others were saying but articulated a fear of mine. I spent 8 years arguing against Obama and there is no reason now for me to continue to do so since he is no longer president.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:57 AM »
I think one question Trump has brought into everyone's mind is, Do we really need the Media? In today's age of internet, face book, you tube, emails, and tweeter the news seems to get out there pretty good. I heard somewhere that Trump has more tweeter followers than some media outlets actual viewers. Tweeter is quicker and if you're tweeting you can get your view out there quicker than the media.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »
>Trump is not prohibiting anyone from saying, broadcasting, or writing anything.

Unlike President John Adams who had everyone arrested who showed him disrespect...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
>Trump is not prohibiting anyone from saying, broadcasting, or writing anything.

Unlike President John Adams who had everyone arrested who showed him disrespect...

Yep but he actually got a law passed, the Alien and Sedition Acts, which were eventually ruled unconstitutional

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 02:32:27 PM »
Headline: "Fascist Nazi Racist Donald Trump Once Again Accuses Media of Bias"
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 02:38:15 PM »
Actually it was never declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.  Parts of it were allowed to expire parts were repealed in Thomas Jefferson's presidency and parts of it remain in effect today as Sections 21?24 of Title 50 of the United States Code.  None of it was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, though many citizens have "declared" it such...
-------------------

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
Actually it was never declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.  Parts of it were allowed to expire parts were repealed in Thomas Jefferson's presidency and parts of it remain in effect today as Sections 21?24 of Title 50 of the United States Code.  None of it was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, though many citizens have "declared" it such...

You are correct. I had forgotten part of my history. If was a different ruling by the Supreme Court that established that the Supreme Court could declare laws unconstitutional. I believe it was Marbury vs. Madison now. 

Offline herbhome

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:00 PM »
Headline: "Fascist Nazi Racist Donald Trump Once Again Accuses Media of Bias"

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 07:22:18 AM »
>"Fascist Nazi Racist Donald Trump Once Again Accuses Media of Bias"

I found that one, but I think I could improve it, since I've seen these words often in the "fake" news of the Washington Post and the NY Times:

"Fascist Nazi Racist Donald Trump Once Again Falsely Accuses Media of Bias"
-------------------

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
Just wanted to throw my log in the fire. I am so sick of the media bashing Trump. They ALL are dogging him out every time they can think of something. No, I'm not a Trump worshiper but this is beyond ridiculous. I logged on about a week ago and the news advertisement that flashed had him with one of his frowny faces and some derogatory remark. Then something caught my eye - a Christmas reave on the door!  Are they are so anxious to throw some crap out there that they don't even look closely at the picture?

I think the biggest reason they hate him so much is because he has called them useless and proven it via his tweeter account. In some cases he has more followers on tweeter than the major news networks has viewers.

Donald, good job! Keep driving them crazy. (we know you read beemaster everyday)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 05:22:34 PM »
I think one question Trump has brought into everyone's mind is, Do we really need the Media? In today's age of internet, face book, you tube, emails, and tweeter the news seems to get out there pretty good. I heard somewhere that Trump has more tweeter followers than some media outlets actual viewers. Tweeter is quicker and if you're tweeting you can get your view out there quicker than the media.
I don?t know what is funnier, calling it ?Tweeter? or suggesting that we get our news from Twitter rather than the main stream media outlets?
Either way there are days that I laugh so hard at the evening news the kids come in to see what comedy show I am watching.  9 times out of 10 it is the big guy and his 144 characters.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »
Anything you say or print can bring on consequences.
This will eventually do him in.  That and the Trump gate scandal.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it