Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The removal of confederate monuments  (Read 325 times)

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
Re: The removal of confederate monuments
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 03:28:00 AM »
One serious problem with hate speech is that it encourages or emboldens illegal harmful physical action by some, who otherwise would not take that action.  Hate speech would likely be moderated if the speaker/influencer was also charged for the physical crime under conspiracy laws.  The `hater` could still say whatever he wanted, given the freedom to speech, but pay the same penalty as the criminal actor if it could be shown that his speech/blog/book/etc. likely influenced the criminal.  Beecan

The problem with moderators is bias.  Who decides what is hate speech and what is reasonable.  I say Brian Cardinal spews hate speech, but, he has the right to say it.  Not on a private forum, if the owners decide, but in public, whenever and wherever he chooses.  As long as he does no harm. 

The US government has no right to moderate my, or other free speech.  In Europe that is not true.  You can be silenced by the government easily for warming comments, anti-islamic comments, pro nazi comments.

I didn`t suggest a moderator - just legal co-responsibility for crimes committed on the basis of speech that encourages those crimes.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:54:29 PM by beecanbee »
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson