Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Silence is Golden  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
Re: Silence is Golden
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »
Who doesn't realize you are not a majority?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »
Sorry for the confusion. To hot today to be rational.

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »
I certainly am one of the majority. If not, I could be receiving all the bennies reserved for the minorities. As is, I have to fend for myself.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »
Gees I thought you were retirement age with a huge list of entitlements.  Isn't that a bigger drain on the budget than welfare?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
Absolutely not. I receive nothing but what I work or worked for.  Retirement only gave me SS, which I worked for 48 years to earn. If I had invested the money I paid in, I would likely be much better off. The gov. takes all my medicare back for reasons I won't get into, but the fact remains I receive no medicare or other retirement related bennies.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2017, 11:27:38 PM »
A lot of confirmation bias going on here...  not by me of course...  :rolleyes:
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
If I had invested the money I paid in, I would likely be much better off.

Most people could say the same.  SS is a tax not an investment.  What you put in went to your parents, who probable paid very little, war machines, bullets and bombs.  This continues today where the younger generation will pay for the older generation.  Can you see that changing?

The irony is most people cannot survive on SS mainly because health care costs consumes the benefit.  The biggest drain an any healthcare system is old people.  They are the non working unhealthy class.  Young people have very little need for healthcare as compared to old people.  The primary health care use for young people is either making babies or trying to prevent making babies.  A very minor cost compared to keeping an old person alive for the last few years of their life.

Now our government is actively selling war machines to the Saudi's.  The government doesn't make the machines some company does.  Did the Saudi's need the machines?  Did the american people ask the orange turd to do this?  This is another flaky deal that is going to cost us.  But nobody cares.  Ignorance is bliss.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »
If I had invested the money I paid in, I would likely be much better off.

Most people could say the same.  SS is a tax not an investment.  What you put in went to your parents, who probable paid very little, war machines, bullets and bombs.  This continues today where the younger generation will pay for the older generation.  Can you see that changing?

The irony is most people cannot survive on SS mainly because health care costs consumes the benefit.  The biggest drain an any healthcare system is old people.  They are the non working unhealthy class.  Young people have very little need for healthcare as compared to old people.  The primary health care use for young people is either making babies or trying to prevent making babies.  A very minor cost compared to keeping an old person alive for the last few years of their life.

Now our government is actively selling war machines to the Saudi's.  The government doesn't make the machines some company does.  Did the Saudi's need the machines?  Did the american people ask the orange turd to do this?  This is another flaky deal that is going to cost us.  But nobody cares.  Ignorance is bliss.

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »
SS is a tax not an investment.  What you put in went to your parents, who probable paid very little............... This is the most important thing you just said. The boomers, have not paid the full amount of the SS tax except since around 83 I believe. That is not all of their working life. Since at least the 90's we have known we are going to have a budget shortfall on SS but hte boomers never wanted to fully fund a system they plan on draining dry so I say we cut their benefits now so their children don't suffer.

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
so I say we cut their benefits now so their children don't suffer.

All we have to do is cut the ridiculous military spending and we can all have a yacht to retire in.  The yacht can be handed down so our children could trade it for a new one if they wanted to when they get of age.  Although if we stop killing and maiming our youth in these wars we will probably have too many to support.  We will have to create another government program ACC, Adult Child Care.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2017, 03:17:38 PM »
I`d liken SS to an insurance policy - neither an investment, nor a welfare system for the aged.  Those who pay in but die early loose, while those who live longer win - possibly even receiving more in value than they paid in.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

Online Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2017, 05:29:54 PM »
SS Is a Ponzi scheme. Plain and simple.

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »
No it is not an insurance company because if you die early it goes to your spouse and maybe even your kids.  It is a government program that is funded by taxes.  Nothing else compares to it.  The entitlement primarily benefits older people who are limited on how much they work.  For some reason if your income is derived from investments you don't get penalized.  So Trump can get SS as long as he doesn't draw a paycheck.  Of course he did take his paycheck when he said he wouldn't so at least he can't get SS.  Oh wait a minute I think if you are over 73 you can make as much as you want so maybe he can get SS.
Now if you didn't need to work from age 65 to 73 why would you start working at 73?  Who in their right mind would hire you?  These are the things wrong with most government programs.  There has to be some benefit to the rule makers because things don't make sense to the common folk.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
All we have to do is cut the ridiculous military spending and we can all have a yacht to retire in

compared to the entitlement programs the military is a very small part of our spending.  in 2015 we had a $3.8 trillion. 2/3 of the budget is entitlement spending.  military spending has gone down from its peak in 2010 by about 1 billion dollars. Discretionary spending, which includes the military, is actually less than a 1/3 of the budget because of the interest on the federal debt.   

6.5 % of discretionary spending is spent financing the government workings. 
One could not learn history from architecture any more than one could learn it from books. Statues, inscriptions, memorial stones, the names of streets ? anything that might throw light upon the past had been systematically altered. (1.8.85)

George Orwell  "1984"

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2017, 01:04:18 AM »
Ace, a boat is a hole in the water to throw money at.  The two happiest days for a boat owner the day he get one and then the day he sell it.  I actually made a little on my last boat, wish I still had it.

Joe D

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2017, 04:13:34 AM »
All we have to do is cut the ridiculous military spending and we can all have a yacht to retire in

compared to the entitlement programs the military is a very small part of our spending.  in 2015 we had a $3.8 trillion. 2/3 of the budget is entitlement spending.  military spending has gone down from its peak in 2010 by about 1 billion dollars. Discretionary spending, which includes the military, is actually less than a 1/3 of the budget because of the interest on the federal debt.   

6.5 % of discretionary spending is spent financing the government workings.

I just couldn`t believe those numbers so did a search around - and you are spot on.  Just 16% or so for the military & homeland.  Thanks,

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2017, 09:32:56 AM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=chaos+definition&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS590US590&oq=chaos&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.17709j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=federa+government+spending

What percent of the US budget is spent on the military?
Once you include the 60 percent of the budget that is mandatory spending, the military share plunges from 57 percent to 16 percent, and the categories that include Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid collectively account for a majority of federal spending.Aug 17, 2015

How much money is spent on the military a year?
Military Spending in the United States. In fiscal year 2015, military spending is projected to account for 54 percent of all federal discretionary spending, a total of$598.5 billion.

Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2017, 12:19:04 PM »
Military Spending in the United States. In fiscal year 2015, military spending is projected to account for 54 percent of all federal discretionary spending, a total of$598.5 billion.

Yes, but what you fail to grasp is that discretionary spending accounts for only 1/3 of all spending and if you take out what is fed to the government, less than 1/3. 

The entire budget is headed for 4 TRILLION dollars.  The majority of that money going to some kind of social welfare program or government funded/backed retirement program AND servicing the debt.
One could not learn history from architecture any more than one could learn it from books. Statues, inscriptions, memorial stones, the names of streets ? anything that might throw light upon the past had been systematically altered. (1.8.85)

George Orwell  "1984"

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »
""Did the american people ask the orange turd to do this?""

Orange is proving to be 20 times better than HI-Yellow.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2017, 05:48:25 PM »

Yes, but what you fail to grasp is that discretionary spending accounts for only 1/3 of all spending and if you take out what is fed to the government, less than 1/3. 

Yes, yes, Kathy.  Now eliminate the 54% spent unnecessary on the military that is discretionary and fund health care and then we can all live long happy lives.  It will also not fuel the flames over in the Middle East and maybe we don't need homeland security.  Another huge savings.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything