Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Beek, First Spring, No new Comb, Foundationless Frames  (Read 109 times)

Offline Banjeezie

• New Bee
I have a hive made up of 3 honey supers with medium frames as brood boxes.  I have had the bees for about 8 months or more and this is my first spring.  I was all ready to get a bunch of honey, but they do not want to move up into the new super!  I have replaced to frames from the bottom with empty ones and put the two full frames up top to try and get them to either move to top or build on empties.  So far two weeks and I do not see any progress of new comb.  My hive did split earlier this year about a month or two ago.  I am keeping my bees alive, but other than that I'm treading water and not getting anywhere.  When I went to inspect about a month ago I noticed ants going in at a rapid rate through the top cover.  I have fixed that problem, but now im wondering if they may be going in through bottom and robbing all the brood and honey?  Maybe that's why I see no new construction?  What to do What to do? Please help.
"Integrity is key."
~Semper Fi~

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
Re: New Beek, First Spring, No new Comb, Foundationless Frames
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »
Wish I could help you so I am giving you a bump

Offline cao

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:18:24 PM »
My hive did split earlier this year about a month or two ago.
I assume you mean they swarmed.  If they did the new queen had to go and get mated.  Did she make it back?  Is there worker brood?  If she didn't could be one explanation for the hive not growing.

If there is a good queen laying, it still takes a while for the hive to get back to full strength.  They may have swarmed more than once.  How full of bees are your boxes?  They need to be covering all frames plus hanging from empty top bars to draw new comb.

The other thing I can think of is there a flow going on?  If no flow they don't need to draw comb when nothing is coming in.

Offline Bush_84

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:30:42 AM »
My hive did split earlier this year about a month or two ago.
I assume you mean they swarmed.  If they did the new queen had to go and get mated.  Did she make it back?  Is there worker brood?  If she didn't could be one explanation for the hive not growing.

If there is a good queen laying, it still takes a while for the hive to get back to full strength.  They may have swarmed more than once.  How full of bees are your boxes?  They need to be covering all frames plus hanging from empty top bars to draw new comb.

The other thing I can think of is there a flow going on?  If no flow they don't need to draw comb when nothing is coming in.

That was my thought. If they swarmed or if you took a big split off of it they may take time to build back up. It may be a simple issue of needing more bees. If you have a laying queen and the bees are packed in their current space, a couple of combs containing brood would entice them up.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Banjeezie

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Sorry the correct term is swarmed.  I will look into the brood to make sure I have a laying queen.  There are not a WHOLE lot of bees on each frame and none hanging off of the empty frames.  I am pretty sure I witnessed the mating flights going on after the swarm.  They had Lots and lots of drones in and out of the hive. and Lots of bees swarming around and around the hive for a couple of days in a row...then it all calmed down so I figured the mating flight was done but I didn't know I needed to check to see if the queen made it back or anything. I will break down the hive to the brood and do a full inspection to make sure I have fresh brood.  Will report back after the weekend!  Thanks for the tips! :happy:
"Integrity is key."
~Semper Fi~

Offline Bush_84

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:14:04 AM »
If they swarmed you may not get honey this year.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.