Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problem requeening  (Read 110 times)

Offline wvbeeguy

• New Bee
Problem requeening
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »
This is my first time requeening. I split a hive and it was queenless for 24 hours and I got my queen in the mail (beeweaver) I have been at this for a week. The bees seamed to have calmed down some but they are still building queen cups with the brood. I cut them out and wait 2-3 days check again and more queen cups. It has been relentless. The queen only has 1 attendant left. I have no clue what the bee breed is cause it was a swarm. It will be 7 days tomorrow since I put the cage in I still have the corks in place. What am I doing wrong. Also I have been watching videos and reading a lot of knowledge. Everything I read or watched says to cut the queen cups out and pop the cork off when the bees accept her (not biting the cage) but they don't seem to stop biting the cage nor stop building the cups....Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline cao

• Field Bee
Re: Problem requeening
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »
Welcome.  :smile:

IMO I would not have waited 24 hrs to introduce the queen.  By then they have started queen cells.  Once they start queen cells they are no longer 'queenless'. 

It will be 7 days tomorrow since I put the cage in I still have the corks in place.

If you make a split (without the queen) there should be no more viable eggs/larve in a week.  If it has been 7 days and you removed ALL the queen cells, they should accept her. 

I would check them tomorrow and make sure there are NO queen cells.  They can be just about anywhere so take your time and examine every frame. 

Offline wvbeeguy

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 12:00:38 AM »
We learn from our mistakes but at the time I was anxious to do the split since it was the only day without rain and I knew the queen would be only a few days away what could it hurt? Obviously a lot! I learned my lesson but remember this is my first time.  Anyway so just check tomorrow and cut out all queen cups again and wait 2 more days or just pop the candy cork? But yeah tomorrow will be 7 days in and 8 days since I did the split. I have to give it to beeweaver they wasted no time to get the queen to me. They literally shipped it on Wed. and I got it the next day I was expecting her Sat. I have 2 more hives I am going to requeen and I will wait until I have the queen in hand before I do the process of finding and executing old queen and replacing. Hopefully it will go smoother!! Thank you for your reply.

Offline cao

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:56:39 AM »
I would just take the cork out leave the candy in and let them get her out.  Unless they are overly aggressive trying to sting her.  If you can see their tongues out then everything is fine.

Yes it is better to have the queen in hand first.  It only takes a few minutes for a hive to realize that their queen is gone.