Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Epi Pens  (Read 154 times)

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
Epi Pens
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:39:41 AM »
If someone was visiting me and they got stung and had an aniphilatic shock, it would be 45 minutes (at best) to get them to a proper emergency room to be treated.

I am planning to get 1 and maybe 2 Epi Pens to have on hand.

They are expensive and I haven't researched their shelf life yet.

Have any of you ever had an emergency after someone gets stung.

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
Re: Epi Pens
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 06:46:09 AM »
I had an incident last year at my farm. My wife was having a party for her class and when one little boy stepped out of his car he was bit with fire ants. His mom, a nurse, brought him straight into the house for help. The boy was having trouble breathing as well as was already swelling up. I do not have children's epipens. I gave his mom baby Benadryl for her to give him and I called 911. I stressed how serious it was. After 10 minutes and 15 minutes I was back on the phone trying to get someone to the house. It took over 20 minutes for the fire chief who I knew and a tech to arrive. I complained because there is a fire house one mile from my farm. Turns out it is not always manned and the fire department was playing a baseball game in town.
It was pretty scary.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 05:50:56 AM »
Thanks Jim,

That is what I want to avoid.

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline paus

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »
You are thinking right, I have several relatives that are in the medical field from Dr. on down.  They advised me to carry an epipen with me when I work bees.  I have a colony to remove from a school ground this week.  Kids are gone but lots of workers are around.  In all things of an emergency nature, remember, "  When seconds count, 911 help is only minutes away, at best".

anything