Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeders for a first time bee keeper  (Read 2502 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Feeders for a first time bee keeper
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:51:27 am »
My bees are going to be in this coming week. I have read a few books, my main one being The New Starting Right with Bees by AI Root Co and I thought I was all ready but I recently picked up Beekeeping for Dummies which is making me question my choice of a feeder. From my local bee supply store and what I've read, I just went with a Boardman feeder. However, Beekeeping for Dummies really seems to guide you away from that type of feeder.

What type of feeder should I start with being a brand new bee keeper? I have two hives (to be populated this coming week). I do not mind spending quality time with my bees but do not wish to waste my time either with inefficient practices/tools.

Thanks for any help/guidance.

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
Re: Feeders for a first time bee keeper
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:06:58 pm »
Hi Jeremy,

I have only been keeping bees for a couple of years, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. 

When I went to our county beekeeping class (before I got my first bees), they definitely recommended against the boardman feeders.  So when I started I went with pail feeders on top of the inner cover, protected by an empty deep hive body.  I also kept bees for a friend  and she purchased a wooden feeder that sat on top of the hive (it had a wire mesh area that the bees could crawl up into and drink without drowning).  I ended up switching to boardman feeders last year as I liked the ability to see how fast each hive was taking syrup WITHOUT having to open up each hive.  The downside for me is the boardman feeders need to be filled a lot more often (about every two days right now).  However since all my hives are at my house, filling them often is fine, and gives me an excuse to observe the bees without disturbing them.

...Tim

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:27:13 pm »
Well since I read the same book as you when I started beekeeping, I started with the top hive feeder from Mann Lake. It is similar to what they mention in the book Beekeeping for Dummies.

I hate to feed at anytime due to all the problems associated with it (robbing, ants,). When I have to feed for a long period of time, like with a new package, I still use the hive top feeder.  But I had to make some adjustments to it to prevent the bees from drowning in the feeder.

I really love to feed them with the baggie feeders because it prevents all the problems associated with feeding.  The syrup stays close to them and stays nice and warm, no drowning, no ants. But the downside is you have to keep filling up the baggies as they don't hold very much.

Good Luck
Annette

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:47:56 pm »
I have two hives set up with the mann lake hive top feeder and really like them, I put about 1 1/2 gallons in each at a time and that lasts about a week. My other two hives just have an inverted mason jat with holes in the lid placed over the hole in the inner cover. They need refilling almost daily which I dont mind but it also gets a little sticky. I guess I could go with larger jars  :)

Offline dgc1961

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 01:26:34 pm »
I use hive top feeders.  I staple screen material over them and duct tape the edges down.  That keeps all of the ants and other bees from getting into the feeder.
David C.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 02:21:00 pm »
A lot of people use the hive top feeders but I understand that drowning can be a problem with this set-up.  I'm cheap, so I get 1 gallon jars from a local deli, punch a few (15-20) very small holes in the metal lids, fill it with the bee's favorite syrup, and invert it over the hole in the inner cover.  Place an empty deep around it and put the telescoping top on it with a couple of bricks and you're done!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline artsie26

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 05:39:06 pm »
Hi Jeremy- I saw that your in Summit county....I'm in Portage, my husband grew up in Summit. Have you gone to any of the Summit county Beekeepers Association meetings yet? I went to my first meeting in Portage, and I'm gonna try to go to the Summit ones also. My Father in-law is a beekeeper too, and we thought we would go together to both of the meetings. They alternate months.
  About the feeder......I have a hive top feeder, and don't seem to have any problems with it. But when you get your bees you'll be so excited about having them you'll try to check them out any chance you get, and having to feed more often is a good excuse to visit with them.
       artsie

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 06:31:28 pm »
Thanks Everyone for the ideas.

artsie... I have no been to the local beekeepers meetings yet. It is something I have wanted to do, but it seems time has not been on my side :-/. I did get to go to the large gathering last month in Wooster, Ohio. That was quite enjoyable.

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 06:52:07 pm »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 09:43:26 pm »

anything