Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do uncapped Queen cells ever work in splits?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
Do uncapped Queen cells ever work in splits?
« on: June 11, 2008, 01:39:17 am »
This year, because I was in a hurry (bad idea) I made several splits using uncapped cells. I pulled the frame and put into a nuc box. All have failed and, it even seems the bees simply chewed out the entire cell on most of them.
Of course a capped Queen cell would always be better but, as a rule, do uncapped ones usually fail?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Do uncapped Queen cells ever work in splits?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:42:08 pm »
I read a interesting article about newzeland beekeepers requeening with uncapped cells so i would say it can be done-RDY-B    http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-201464.html     :lol: 8-)-RDY-B

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 03:38:30 am »
This year, because I was in a hurry (bad idea) I made several splits using uncapped cells. I pulled the frame and put into a nuc box. All have failed and, it even seems the bees simply chewed out the entire cell on most of them.
Of course a capped Queen cell would always be better but, as a rule, do uncapped ones usually fail?

My bet is that they weren't queen cells just queen cups.  Many hives make a habit of having queen cups available at all times, whether they use them or not.  If it doesnn't have a larvae in the cell or it isn't capped--don't count on it as a dedicated queen cell.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:37:39 am »
I've wondered why I see empty queen cells for no good reason.  All seems to be okay and then I'll find an empty cell.  Interesting.  Like they have a plan for 'just in case we need a queen'.

I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 10:01:32 pm »
I've wondered why I see empty queen cells for no good reason.  All seems to be okay and then I'll find an empty cell.  Interesting.  Like they have a plan for 'just in case we need a queen'.

Must be there plan Bee  :-D just in case plan A dont work -RDY-B

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 10:57:14 am »
Thanks for the replies. I did check the Queen cell to make sure there was a good-sized larva in it. I simply assumed they would go about finishing her up. Was not the case, darn!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:32:48 am »
I think it *should* work, however the bees don't tolerate any damage to a queen cell, and they are very delicate.

Then again, they are bees and their brains smaller than a pin-head, so they don't exactly do things logically like we might expect....
Rick