Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sucrocide for Varroa  (Read 3268 times)

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
Sucrocide for Varroa
« on: May 08, 2007, 12:42:18 am »

I stopped using Apistan several years ago.  I use screened bottom boards and Sucrocide only.  I spray down between the frames 6 or 8 times per year especially in early spring and in the fall.  I have occasionally taken out each frame and soaked every bee but this is a lot of work and they tend to crawl up inside my pants legs. (Feeling bees crawling up your thighs will make you stop what what you're doing really fast). 

I don't use sticky boards and count because it's a lot of trouble and I couldn't tell the difference between a mite and a speck of dirt.

I think I am as effective as when I used Apistan but am I?

Also, is this organic?

Should I be using powdered sugar instead of Sucrocide?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Sucrocide for Varroa
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:55:52 am »
>I don't use sticky boards and count because it's a lot of trouble and I couldn't tell the difference between a mite and a speck of dirt.

Sure you can.  Depending on your eyesight you may need a magnifying glass, but they are quite distinct from a speck of dirt.

>I think I am as effective as when I used Apistan but am I?

Since you're not counting, I don't know.  But here's the problem with any treatment while there is brood:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesvarroatreatments.htm

>Also, is this organic?

I beleive it's an artificially created sugar.  But it's a lot more natural than Fluvalinate (Apistan) or Cumaphos (Check Mite).

>Should I be using powdered sugar instead of Sucrocide?

Are you happy with the Sucrocide?  Would powdered sugar save you a lot of money?  Trouble?  Would you be happier finding a way to not need to treat at all?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Sucrocide for Varroa
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 11:19:43 pm »
Small cell in the Brood nest .Small cell all the way
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything