Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Natural bee repellent?  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Chanticleer48

• House Bee
Natural bee repellent?
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:16:59 pm »
Is there a natural bee repellent that is an alternative to the stuff you buy out of the catalogs and on-line?

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
Re: Natural bee repellent?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:02:12 pm »
It is said they don't like the smell of almonds.  I have some almond oil lotion that I put on my hands after a sting and it seems to help mask the pheromone.  But I don't know if it really repels them.

love,
ziffa

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »
I believe I recall the Fat Bee man saying he puts some kind of a sauce on him, like natural smoke flavour or barbecue sauce.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:17:47 pm »
I believe I recall the Fat Bee man saying he puts some kind of a sauce on him, like natural smoke flavour or barbecue sauce.

I think it was liquid smoke...  tried it... doesn't seem to make any difference in my experience. YMMV.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:42:52 pm »
I've heard that the bees don't like garlic... Make a 'tea' from fresh garlic and spray it where you don't want the bees and it is supposed to keep them away...

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:04:16 pm »
Practice 'calm' states of mind (I average under 10 stings per year).   U-mmm….I do eat a lot of garlic though…. ;)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 05:13:54 pm »
The good news may very well be that the stings contain 'stuff' that has antibiotic effect and may indeed help stem the low grade infections in the body that we are blissfully unaware of.

This is a guess BTW based on the results of what little I know about Apiatherapy.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 05:45:00 pm »
Is there a natural bee repellent that is an alternative to the stuff you buy out of the catalogs and on-line?

Are you asking about something like Bee Quick and a fume pad for harvesting honey supers? If you want to keep them off of you nothing works like a suit.
Later,
Ray

Offline Chanticleer48

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 10:14:00 am »
Something like the bee-quick......I have a very limited amount of money to spend and was looking for an effective method that is cheap.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 10:49:26 am »
Something like the bee-quick......I have a very limited amount of money to spend and was looking for an effective method that is cheap.

The cheapest method is a bee brush. A brush along with a firm shake is all I use. I understand any repellent just smells repulsive.  :-D
Later,
Ray

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 05:37:03 pm »
Just courious....why do you need a bee repellent? :?
Like RHBee said.....catfish stickbait smells better than some of the repellents out here!! :shock:

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:57 pm »
Yes, it is called soapy water.  Take your suit and soak it in a sink full of soapy water.   Dawn works well, the more soap the better it works.  Hang the suit up and let it drip dry, do not rinse.  It will also knock the bees down and will kill the smell of the hive so bees will not return to a cavity that has been soaked with it.
There is a formula for a substitute for BEE QUICK at http://poorboybees.com/presentation.html

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 10:24:33 pm »
Home many hives do you have..... I am thiking you are talking about robbing honey. If get some beequick or Natural Honey. It will run around $20 with shipping but a little goes a long way. I just would not get into the bee brush thing .... IMO.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Natural-Honey-Harvester/productinfo/474/
John 3:16

Offline Chanticleer48

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 08:25:14 am »
Just courious....why do you need a bee repellent? :?
Like RHBee said.....catfish stickbait smells better than some of the repellents out here!! :shock:

For a cut-out......came across a hive in an old shed out in our woods and want to hive them, but the construction of the comb has made it where I would have to take the entire shed apart to get all the comb out, I don't want to do that.  I was thinking, get most of the brood comb, get the queen and what workers i can, then spray some bee-repellent to drive most of the bees out and hopefully into the hive box I have set up.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 03:01:09 pm »
If you get the queen they will come. If not then another story.
John 3:16

anything