Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: not rewaxing plastic foundation after crush and strain harvest?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline flyingbrass

• New Bee
I would like to know who has had success not rewaxing plastic foundation after scraping off the honey using crush and strain?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: not rewaxing plastic foundation after crush and strain harvest?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 05:44:37 pm »
I only re-wax NEW small cell plastic frames when I have the time.  IMO it really helps get those odd frames drawn out correctly.  The rest just go in the hives and the bees comb them up fine; at least this time of year in MI.  Scraping down frames still leaves wax on the frames and bees work them just fine.  Of coarse you've got to have a descent amount of bees in your hive for them to build comb in the first place.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 05:49:21 pm »
Ditto that. I have scrapped damaged sections and returned them to the hives with no problems.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 09:47:50 pm »
I really doubt you are removing 100% of the wax off the plastic when you are scrapping it. 

Offline flyingbrass

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:58:08 am »
thanks,
they feel like they got wax on them, just wondering.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:02:35 am »
>I would like to know who has had success not rewaxing plastic foundation after scraping off the honey using crush and strain?

I have never tried doing crush and strain on plastic.  But I have reused many a plastic frame after the wax moths ate it down to the plastic.  The bees use it fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything