Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How about a fast lesson for a NEWBIE?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
How about a fast lesson for a NEWBIE?
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:14:20 am »
I installed two bee packages for the first time two weeks ago, what a thrill.  Never have done this before but had read a great deal about it...nothing like first hand experience.  Got stung a couple of times on the first package but learned quickly and second package went a lot smoother.  The bees are already starting to cap off the center of one frame in each hive!  I have loved honey since my first peanut butter, honey and bananna sandwich my Grandmother made for me many years ago.  My wife and I live in Eastover SC on about 18 acres with a pond, garden and tractor....Green Acres is the place to be......  Look forward to learing here, find I have more and more questions the further I go....

I did a search fo postings from South Carolina, and found this, how about some tips as to why the stings on the first package, that were not repeated on the second package. In other words what mistakes do I want to avoid to not get these stings on my first package.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: How about a fast lesson for a NEWBIE?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:13:40 pm »
could be anything from temperament of the bees, to confidence of the handler.

do a search on here for installing packages.  there are some videos done by members and many posts.  beemaster has a good video on here showing him installing packages.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 05:41:47 pm »
I have never been stung installing bees.  They generally aren't that aggressive especially if it is a warm day. Smooth, calm and steady. I generally dont even bother with a veil or jacket.  I will wear gloves though.     
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 05:57:39 pm »
I got stung installing my first hive because I was extremely nervous. I fumbled around a lot.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:34:55 pm »
Make sure to spray them with a little sugar water before installing them. Sometimes, not often, they may have consumed the syrup that they came with and will be a little testy, because they are hungry. Other than that, a package of bees is just like fooling with a swarm, they just aren't aggressive.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 11:13:04 pm »
I did not get stung a single time installing my first packages, but I do remember being nervous about the number of bees.  My best advice is to suit up, and then just get though it.  Once you have the bees in the hive, you will realize that they are not killer bees, and then with time, you will become much more comfortable around them

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 11:48:19 am »
Whenever you are working your bees or just hanging around the hives, make sure your body movements are smooth and steady, sudden moves will excite/distract the bees towards you. Beekeeping is a "Practice", you'll learn to manage them by trial and error.  :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:05:49 am by BeeHopper »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 11:36:58 pm »
>I have never been stung installing bees.

I have not often been stung installing bees.  But I have been stung installing them on a couple of occasions.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:48:11 pm »
>I have never been stung installing bees.

I have not often been stung installing bees.  But I have been stung installing them on a couple of occasions.

It's hard to get stung when installing a package of bees, but squishing a bee or 2 is a good way to do it.  Squished the stinger right into my own finger.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything