Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Urban beekeepers  (Read 4884 times)

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
Urban beekeepers
« on: December 07, 2009, 11:49:14 am »
I am just getting into the hobby and I live in the city limits in NC. I would LOVE to see some pics of peoples hives and their locations in their yards. I love seeing pictures of how ingenious people are in locations and gardening to accommodate their hives. As soon as I get my girls I will be posting pictures here as well.

Keep it to urban/backyard apiaries please!

Offline John Lee Pettimore

• House Bee
Re: Urban beekeepers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:53:26 am »
I'd post some pics but photography is verboten here inside the Copperhead Road Compound (CRC). Security protocols...

Looking forward to seeing everyone's setups though. Great idea for a thread!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 05:11:58 pm »
There is a thread already where people posted pictures of their beeyards. I searched "beeyard" and found individual threads of yards but I know there is one that people were mainly posting in. Sorry I could not find it.  Found it: The link was made by Buzzbee that I found.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,6865.80.html

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 06:05:23 pm »
There is a thread already where people posted pictures of their beeyards. I searched "beeyard" and found individual threads of yards but I know there is one that people were mainly posting in. Sorry I could not find it.  Found it: The link was made by Buzzbee that I found.

the problem with that link and thread is that is it so old about 2/3 of the pictures no longer come up. I want to see CURRENT beeyards....

see the date here:

Reply #80 on: July 25, 2007, 05:16:51 AM

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:22:24 pm »
I will make a post in that thread asking if any one has any more current photos. Sometimes thats all you have to do. The Aussies may be willing to help out since they are just getting going strong for the season.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 05:24:29 pm »

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 06:40:03 pm »
You should take a look at Natalie's Beeyard its fantastic. You can see it and others at this link.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,6865.msg202488.html#msg202488

Here is my, humble by comparison, yard.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 10:15:25 pm »
HAB, are those robber screens on the front of your hives? How do they work?

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 11:08:48 pm »
HAB, are those robber screens on the front of your hives? How do they work?
Robbing Screen.  The pic was taken in September and we had some robbing.  Put robbing screens on all but three very strong hives.  Stops it cold.
The Robbers are usually unable to find the new entry way at the top of the screen due to their focusing on the odors coming out near the old entrance at the bottom of the screen.
Here is picture of one and a link to where I get them. Click the pic for a larger view.
www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Moving-and-Robbing-Screen/productinfo/517/

anything