Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Penders Beekeeping supplies  (Read 5937 times)

Offline megs_westaus

• New Bee
Penders Beekeeping supplies
« on: January 07, 2013, 06:26:55 am »
Does anybody know much about or have anything to do with Penders?

I ordered some equipment from them a month ago, received an email with the bill, put my credit card details into their online form... and that's it. I haven't heard anything from them, haven't received my goods, and haven't received any replies to my emails asking what's going on. Fortunately my card hasn't been charged either, or I'd be throwing a tantrum by now.

My next step is to try calling them next time I have a spare moment during eastern states business hours (I'm in WA and never manage to think about it til after 2pm!) but thought I'd post on here before then to find out if anybody knows what's going on. I thought they could be closed for a very lengthy holiday over the holidays but you'd think they'd have let me know when they sent me the bill, rather than saying my order would be shipped in 4-5 days, or have something on their website about it.

It's very frustrating as I'm desperate for some of the equipment which was out of stock at my local suppliers - they probably have some now but I can just imagine going to buy it and coming home to find out that Penders finally charged my credit card.

Offline Grahamb

• New Bee
  • New to beekeeping, enjoying it immensely
Re: Penders Beekeeping supplies
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:58:24 am »
Yes, I have had a not dissimilar experience. Best to ring and ask them what is happening with your order. You will probably find it will arrive within a few days afterwards. Allowing for travel/post time between Newcastle and Perth.

Offline dermot

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:31:33 pm »
I've had similar experience with Penders. Maybe they prioritize the larger commercial orders?

About 18 months ago I put in a phone  order for wired frames and asked if it was possible to get them sent before weeks end. I was assured that was most likely. A month or more later I was still waiting. Ended up cancelling and buying through Hornsby.

In October, I thought I'd give them another go, hoping that last time was an aberration. Order was placed online, but still a month later no delivery and no communication as to why not and when it could be expected. I phoned to cancel and let them know that having to wait a month (and more) wasn't good enough. They found the order but no explanation as to why it hadn't been sent and no apology. Again more business for Hornsby.

Dealing with Hornsby has been a lot more reliable. Prices are comparable with Penders and they offer 5% off to members of beekeeping associations.

I had one order that didn't arrive for a week and when I followed up with a phone call, my 40 sheets of foundation became 50 (10 complimentary) to make up for the delay

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 06:27:44 pm »
I order my frames from Penders and have never had a problem. I also bought my uncapping knife from them. I always call and order over the phone.
Shane

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:49:36 pm »
Hi. well I did throw a tantrum and a half and basically told them to stick my order and told them they'd lost my business!!!!

I now use E + C TOBIN - not only are they cheaper but I have my stuff sent out the same day with an invoice which I have 90 days to pay!!!!!

Change to them and you'll have no regrets = several decades of knowledge, more than willing to offer advice, always cheery to talk to and very efficient - GOOD OL' FASHIONED SERVICE!!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:00:04 pm by Harpo »

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:39:19 am »
I had similar experience with Penders - waiting for an order for weeks and having to chase them by phone.  Fortunately I can drive to Hornsby and get most things I need on the spot.

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:31 am »
Same as everyone else forget online orders, either ring them direct,I'm with Harpo Tobin's are great.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:57:17 am »
I didn't have a problem receiving goods with Penders (over the phone order), but the second time I called to order something I realised they had KEPT my credit card number from the previous order.  I didn't say anything but have avoided them since.

Lone

Offline ozbee

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 12:44:48 am »
 The economy is so tight now most gear like  excluders ,smokers are imported  from china .if your lucky in timing you can receive goods quickly .if not there can bee quite a delay as china supplies USA also which has a size difference in excluders and boxes . penders  is a good supplier   

Offline gefdef

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:31:48 pm »
Also from Perth.  What supplies are you out of.

If it is WSP boxes, what is the cost landed in Perth.  I also want some.

Thanks

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 04:58:26 am »
I have been using Penders for some time and yes they are slow but generally if it has not arrived within a month ring and you will have it within the next few days.

I agree though you need to ring the order through as using their online order system is even slower.

I was cut short a couple of top & bottom bars with one order and next time I ordered I mentioned it and they were included no problems.

Kevin

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:34:13 am »
I've just ordered a few hundred frames, some boxes and a lot of foundation. I've had no problems so will continue ordering from them.

Lone, you will find that its not Penders that keep your credit card details, it will be their bank or merchant facility. I take credit card payments in my business and my merchant facility keeps the credit card details on file for security reasons. I wont explain the security reasons but its pretty clear when you read the guidelines set by the banking and securities ombudsman.
Shane

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:53:37 pm »
I had a two month wait on a very simple order. I paid over the phone when I put the order through and if it wasn't for the fact that my order was paid for, I would have told them to shove it. I had to contact them several times before my order finally arrived. Their communication and customer service is very poor. I think they should let you know how your order is progressing, send you what they have if they're waiting for something and charge you when they send it.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 11:08:02 pm »
Rang through an order on Tuesday 5 Feb and it was delivered to my door this morning 11 Feb.

:roll: ;) :roll:

Kevin

anything