Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Granulated sugar in the hive  (Read 2648 times)

Offline jester7891

• House Bee
Granulated sugar in the hive
« on: November 08, 2009, 06:40:39 pm »
  I was using sugar water up to about 2 weeks ago when members said that was not a good idea I believe due to moisture buildup at this time of the year (I live in NW NJ).  I placed granulated sugar on newspaper on the top frames with a shim for the bees to move about.  It got pretty cold here a few days ago but was around 65 degrees today.  I opened up both hives very quickly today and lots of bees were on the sugar moving about.  They probably decreased the pile by 20-25% in 7-10 days.  How long do I keep the sugar there?  When should I remove it?
                          Thanks,
                                            Jester

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Granulated sugar in the hive
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:43:17 pm »
i keep mine on all winter.  there is no harm in having it there and it's a bit of insurance against them starving before you realize it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 06:44:07 pm »
Yep, what she said  :)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:44:52 am »
I'd leave it until the spring flow.  I might even supplement it at the rate they are going.  You can always wet a bag of sugar and add it to what is there without worrying about it dumping down through the hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 11:46:40 am »
Again, trying to bring stuff back from the fragments of my mind.  It seems to me that when one puts sugar on top of the frames, with the newspaper below, that it can hold an incredible amount of sugar in there.  I am not sure if a shim is necessary, the room between the top bars and the inner cover is quite great.

Does anyone recall a post being made about this amount of room?  I wonder where I got this memory from, a little help here would be good.

Kathy, define clearly how you put dry sugar on the colony for wintertime.  I have always wondered deeply about this.

I know that I have a hole in my inner cover that I sometimes leave the plug just a little bit open so I can put feed on top of the inner cover (with a shim in place so I can put LOTS in there, like honey stuff).  This allows bees to move up onto the inner cover that is warm because of the heat from the colony.  I was thinking of putting dry sugar on top of this inner cover as extra insurance, but do wonder if it would work as well as right over the top bars, thinking, thinking, thinking.  Have that most beautiful day, health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:03:07 pm »
Do they make honey out of sugar or just sugar water ?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 06:39:33 pm »
sugahoneywater

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 08:13:26 pm »
I use an empty box to make room.  I put 30 pounds or so (eight frame medium box) in the box.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline adgjoan

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:59:40 am »
Do you guys think the sugar helps absorb the extra moisture in the hive?

Joan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:43:17 am »
>Do you guys think the sugar helps absorb the extra moisture in the hive?

If you have a top entrance I don't think this is significant, but yes, it will.
-------------------

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:19:25 am »
>Do you guys think the sugar helps absorb the extra moisture in the hive?

If you have a top entrance I don't think this is significant, but yes, it will.

As I follow this thread this is really opening up a lot of thoughts with me and probably others too.  Moisture in the colony over winter is really a bad thing, we all know that.  Now I'm gettin' to a'thinkin' that perhaps some dry sugar on top of the colony also serves a couple of GOOD purposes, there in case of emergency feeding requirements for the bees, to gather any moisture that becomes excess.  I have read that it might be a good idea to spray that sugar with some water to entice the bees, but probably not necessary as the humidity from the colony does this job anyways, all on its own.  I'm rethinking how I may be getting my lone colony through the winter, but this is only a rethinking thing.  I think I have the moisture thing under control with the slots in my inner cover, but thinking, deeper and deeper and deeper, oops, might go into a trance here, smiling.  Have that wonderful and most awesomely great day, with health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 12:29:18 pm »
cindi, that's what my sugar does.  provides emergency food and absorbs moisture.  i never dampen mine!  you know how it is here :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline adgjoan

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 06:28:55 am »
I had to close the top enterance to keep the robbers out.  when should I open it back up?

Joan