Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Super & Bee Escape Trap Door  (Read 2105 times)

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
  • We who are about to bee stung, Salute You!
    • Fresh Beef jerky, shipped anywhere.
Super & Bee Escape Trap Door
« on: September 04, 2011, 12:52:06 pm »
Yesterday I put an inner cover with a bee escape 1-way trap door between the top hive body and the only super.

It worked very well, this morning there was only 5 or 6 bees left in the super.  I pulled out the frames one by one, cleaned up the extra wax and propolis and looked them over.

There were no brood cells.  The three center frames were partially filled and capped, holding a total of about 2 or 3 pounds of honey.  There was some uncapped nectar.  Some of the other frames were partially drawn out with comb, and the remaining outer frames were bare.

Since its now September, I'm wondering if its a good time to remove the super to make sure the colony completely fills the two hive bodies for there winter stores.  I haven't looked into them to determine how much honey is stored.

I'm in Idaho at 42:30 north latitude.  Overnight temps have been into the mid to high 40s Fahrenheit.  But we will probably have another 2 or 3 weeks of warm weather this month, with daytime temps in the low 90s.

In the Spring, my colony swarmed and split because the hive bodies got honey-bound.  I don't really want that to happen again in this autumn.  After the swarming, and when I discovered the honey-bound situation, I took out about 6 frames of honey from the top hive body, and did not look into the lower body.

Can anyone offer advice?  Thanks!

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
  • We who are about to bee stung, Salute You!
    • Fresh Beef jerky, shipped anywhere.
Re: Super & Bee Escape Trap Door
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 07:03:09 pm »
Well, I sort of ran out of time to get any suggestions.  I'm leaving town Monday for 2 weeks.

I took the top cover and trap door out from between the super and upper hive body.  Then I put on a plastic queen excluder, to keep the queen out of the super.

So the bees can still keep storing honey in the super, but no eggs will get up there.  When I get back, I'll see what going on in there.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:59:35 pm by MagicValley »

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:02:38 pm »
Whatever you end up doing just make sure you do NOT leave the queen excluder on. I did this ONCE. Never again.

RIP now deceased great hive.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 04:51:00 pm »
Whatever you end up doing just make sure you do NOT leave the queen excluder on. I did this ONCE. Never again.

Huh? Why did you trap the queen above?

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 06:14:50 pm »

Huh? Why did you trap the queen above?

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

I didn't, when I left the excluder on in the fall, she was unable to go up with the cluster in the winter. I still feel bad about this and it has been years ago.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 06:56:43 pm »
You ask for advice, so here's mine. CHECK YOUR HIVE.

You don't know if the bottom deep is empty or has 60 lb. of honey in it. Nobody can help you with no more info than that.

Check every frame in a hive at least 4 times each season.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*