Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: get ride of SHB  (Read 14212 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
get ride of SHB
« on: February 13, 2005, 05:53:08 pm »
I posted this before but it was lose when the site went down!

I talk with a beekeeper here in Ga. monday and he told me how to get ride of the SHB, he said he get them plactic corrigated signs that people running for office use, cut it 2 inches wide and 6 inches long with the corrigation running across the 2 inch part, cuts a 1/8 inch ( V ) shape down the center long ways but just deap enough to see the corigation , put Maxforce Gel in the cut slot then tape over the cut so the bees want get in the poison, the beetle are like roaches and also scavengers, the poison in it is called Fipronil, its also in the ant traps made by Maxforce. he also said people think ONLY THE LARVE does damage, he said he has seen the beetle's will at time eat honey, eggs, and larve when the bees are in a cluster, but useing this technique he gets rid of the beetles, the treatment only last about a month, then just remove the tape ,put more gel in and tape up again. he puts in the back of the BB and on the intercover.

Maxforce Gel (a.i. Fipronil) (previously contained Hydramethylnon): This is the finest roach bait on the market, is used in homes and businesses, and is labeled for restaurants and commercial food handling areas.  Maxforce Gel will kill German Roaches, Brown Banded Roaches, Smoky Brown Roaches, Oriental Roaches and American Roaches.  The unique action of Fipronil (the active ingredient in Maxforce Gel) makes it an ideal active ingredient for killing roaches. After consuming a lethal dose of bait, cockroaches return to their harborage where they excrete feces containing Fipronil. As other cockroaches consume the contaminated feces, they too receive a lethal dose. When the roaches die, other roaches may consume their carcass and die as well. Tests have documented that this can result in one cockroach causing the death of up to 44 other cockroaches. Our customers have reported seeing thousands of roaches die from one application of Maxforce Gel. This professional roach bait is practically non-toxic to humans and domestic animals by ingestion.  For example, a 35 pound dog would have to consume the contents of 14 syringes of Maxforce to receive a lethal dose.  When ordering, remember that one syringe of Maxforce Gel will yield about 200 bait placements, or enough to thoroughly treat an average kitchen and two bathrooms. Tip: To increase the appetite of the roaches, spray the areas to be baited with Flea Fix IGR. This drives the roaches to "pig out" on your roach bait, killing more roaches faster!
Maxforce products cannot be shipped to Alaska.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
get ride of SHB
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 06:47:50 am »
How well does this work?  Has anyone tried it?  David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline downunder

• House Bee
get ride of SHB
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 08:10:34 am »
It works extremely well. In Australia we have an average population of plus 60 beetles in every hive in our area.

Rather than administer the gel in core flute corrugated sheet, we developed based on a wooden queen cage a bait trap. You cover the cage with a mesh (steel or plastic) with holes only beetles can fit through. The mesh from a west beetle trap (Dadant) will do. Apply the gel into the cage and secure the mesh (with thumbtacks).

The beauty of this design is that bees patrol the mesh and keep beetles inside. Beetles die within 3 hours of ingesting the bait. In some traps we have caught in excess of 1000 beetles over a 1 month period.

Even better than the bait is Fipronil (as Regent TM) diluted to 30g/litre mixed into queen candy and placed in the cage works beautifully and lasts for ages.

The important thing to note is that if bees access the bait the entire colony is dead within hours, along with any other colony that robs it.  Be warned.

I do not accept any liability for colony losses :)

Offline ghoul469

• Brood
    • http://www.fisherhoney.com
SHB
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 02:00:36 pm »
The Checkmite strip on the bottom of a hive kills SHB rather well for me.

Aaron

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
get ride of SHB
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 04:37:09 pm »
I use a rather ineffective technique for SHB controll that involves a smoker and a hive tool.  Basicly, I smoke under the SBB and Small Hive Beetles just start running out the top and enterence.  At that point I just smash 'em with the hive tool...I think your idea is better.

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
SNB
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 12:36:36 pm »
DOES THE COLOR OF THE CORROGATED PLASTIC THAT YOU PUT ON THE BOTTOM BOARD INTER COVER MATER? I HAVE BLACK AND HAVE ORDERED THE MAX FORCE GEL AND GETTING READY TO DO BATTLE. ALSO SHOULD I REMOVE THE SUGAR FEED AND GREASE PATTIES NOW FOR ME TO TREAT?  TOM

Maxforce Gel (a.i. Fipronil) (previously contained Hydramethylnon): This is the finest roach bait on the market, is used in homes and businesses, and is labeled for restaurants and commercial food handling areas.  Maxforce Gel will kill German Roaches, Brown Banded Roaches, Smoky Brown Roaches, Oriental Roaches and American Roaches.  The unique action of Fipronil (the active ingredient in Maxforce Gel) makes it an ideal active ingredient for killing roaches. After consuming a lethal dose of bait, cockroaches return to their harborage where they excrete feces containing Fipronil. As other cockroaches consume the contaminated feces, they too receive a lethal dose. When the roaches die, other roaches may consume their carcass and die as well. Tests have documented that this can result in one cockroach causing the death of up to 44 other cockroaches. Our customers have reported seeing thousands of roaches die from one application of Maxforce Gel. This professional roach bait is practically non-toxic to humans and domestic animals by ingestion.  For example, a 35 pound dog would have to consume the contents of 14 syringes of Maxforce to receive a lethal dose.  When ordering, remember that one syringe of Maxforce Gel will yield about 200 bait placements, or enough to thoroughly treat an average kitchen and two bathrooms. Tip: To increase the appetite of the roaches, spray the areas to be baited with Flea Fix IGR. This drives the roaches to "pig out" on your roach bait, killing more roaches faster!
Maxforce products cannot be shipped to Alaska.[/quote]
FROM BEE TO THEE, BEE BUZZING ON

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
Re: SNB
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 05:00:34 pm »
HOW WELL DOES THE KIT FOR CHECKING AFB WORK? IS THERE ANY SPECIAL THING OR PLACE TO PULL LAVA FROM? HOW OLD OF LAVA? ALL THE INFO & KITS ARE FIND BUT FOR A DUMMY LIKE ME IT NORMALLY JUSTS COSTS ME MORE THAN THE ITEM DOES. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.- TOM

Offline mark

• House Bee
SHB+ MAXFORCE GEL-FIPRONIL
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 07:20:30 pm »
BEFORE ADOPTING THIS METHOD OF BEETLE CONTROL PLEASE READ   http://HTTP://WWW.PAN-UK.ORG/PESTNEWS/ACTIVES/FIPRONIL.HTM
NOTE THAT IT PHOTODEGRADES TO A CHEMICAL THAT IS 10 TIMES MORE TOXIC THAN THE ORIGINAL PRODUCT

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: SHB
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 10:59:22 pm »
Quote from: COLVIN
DOES THE COLOR OF THE CORROGATED PLASTIC THAT YOU PUT ON THE BOTTOM BOARD INTER COVER MATER? I HAVE BLACK AND HAVE ORDERED THE MAX FORCE GEL AND GETTING READY TO DO BATTLE. ALSO SHOULD I REMOVE THE SUGAR FEED AND GREASE PATTIES NOW FOR ME TO TREAT?  TOM

the color of the plastic does not matter from what I have seen and heard about,

Quote from: mark
BEFORE ADOPTING THIS METHOD OF BEETLE CONTROL PLEASE READ   http://HTTP://WWW.PAN-UK.ORG/PESTNEWS/ACTIVES/FIPRONIL.HTM
NOTE THAT IT PHOTODEGRADES TO A CHEMICAL THAT IS 10 TIMES MORE TOXIC THAN THE ORIGINAL PRODUCT

if you do it right the bee's will not come in contact with the gel, the beetles don't bath in the gel , they eat it and die, alot will not make it back out of the coragated plastic, most will die in the plastic and get propolized in it. it is strong chemical, but either use something that kills the SHB's or just live with them, eack beekeeper has to make up there own mind on how they will handle beetles.

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
get ride of SHB
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 11:13:16 pm »
when this happens to you ,
        http://home.elmore.rr.com/kingbeeapiary/feedback.htm
                         then some will handle it and some will keep seeing this until they find something that is safe for bee's but not beetle's , but for now, some people like to keep the bee's they have instead of buying new ones every year, as for honey, I wouldnt use it on a hive that I'm going to rob until after I robbed the honey then I would use it. max force gel is a very strong chemical, so people have to   understand that and treat it accordingly.

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
Re: SNB
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 05:03:37 pm »
Quote from: COLVIN

Offline downunder

• House Bee
get ride of SHB
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 06:46:04 am »
As previously mentioned the colour of the corrugated plastic doesn't matter as in the hive it is total darkness. It would be a good idea to stop feeding, so the beetles seek out the maxforce.

Offline rusty

• New Bee
get ride of SHB
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 05:43:09 pm »
when this happens to you ,
http://home.elmore.rr.com/kingbeeapiary/feedback.htm

YUK! These are the most horrible pictures I have ever seen. You really have my sympathy, and If I get these things in my bees I might just be tempted to throw the towel in. YUK YUK YUK!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 12:40:57 am by TwT »
Rusty Wise,

Author and illustrator of the Belinda Bee Books,and A little Book of Bee Poems
www.trafford.com (Search Desk)
http://www.pcela.co.yu/IndexE.htm

Offline Nortonbee

• Brood
get ride of SHB
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 06:18:59 pm »
Fipronil in concentrations as low as 5PPB can kill bees!  be careful.
Best regards
Nortonbee

Offline atthelake22

• New Bee
  • Pausing to give thanks
Easier and Safer?
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 06:46:41 pm »
Aren't CheckMite strips a lot more easy to handle and safer on the bees? i would fear my colony would get infected. OH also does anyone know if checkmite can be used 2 times a year (before and after flow) or if it can be used all year? is that a possible shb solution? curious and new :lol: ....thanks
"...so shines a good deed in a weary world" dahl

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
maxforce bait-gel for shb?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 06:57:22 pm »
Pretty certain maxforce is not labled for shb. So probably not any or very little research to support effects on shb, harmful or other wise. Most all " chemicals " are highly toxic to bees. Maxforce gels have a sweet odor & I wonder if bees would be enticed to feed, if they do you can kiss your bees goodbye. Just my two cents.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: maxforce bait-gel for shb?
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 07:54:26 pm »
Quote from: JP
Pretty certain maxforce is not labled for shb.

true, it is not labled for SHB's

So probably not any or very little research to support effects on shb, harmful or other wise.

UGA has looked into this for about 3 years now

Most all " chemicals " are highly toxic to bees.

Very True....

Maxforce gels have a sweet odor & I wonder if bees would be enticed to feed, if they do you can kiss your bees goodbye. Just my two cents.

bee's might be enticed, but thats why you put it in the hive so only SHB's can get to it... what ends up happening useing the technique above is that you have to change the corrigated plastic because the bee's propolis the end holes up with the dead SHB's inside, one guy told me he took one out and cut the plastic open to see how many was in it and said there was 27 SHB's in it and all dead.....one guy came to the Georgia Beekeepers Meeting and had 2400 dead SHB's he killed with Maxforce Gel..... its just another option to choose from, it worked for others and thats why I posted it.... :wink:

Amateurs built the ark,