Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen leaving the hive question  (Read 1180 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Queen leaving the hive question
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:46:07 am »
Has anybody ever experienced a queen leaving the hive to go hang out with other bees outside the hive in bearding?

I swapped some hives, and left the beard cluster to go back in the weaker hives that I had placed in the strong hive's location. It had me wondering if a queen could of been in those beard clusters.

Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Queen leaving the hive question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:58:16 am »
Good question.   I have had a queen above the inner cover before.   Why was she up there, who knows.  I really don't see why she would leave the brood area, but with bees, you never can tell.  I really doubt that she would leave the hive though.   

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Queen leaving the hive question
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:36:34 pm »
Has anybody ever experienced a queen leaving the hive to go hang out with other bees outside the hive in bearding?
Thank you.

Yes I have see this for the first time and only time last year at owelee has taking 53 years for my to see this  :shock: :shock:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything