Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: No help with adding supers!!  (Read 1793 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
No help with adding supers!!
« on: April 22, 2007, 12:46:58 pm »
 I am leaving town for 2 -1/2 weeks. They are not ready for a new super now, Just starting to draw comb on most of the frames in the one I placed on 10 days ago and actually filled one whole frame with honey (surprise)!! With that one frame filled up so quickly with honey I am beginning to think it will start to go fast now and they might run out of room. What to do. Do I place an extra super on before I leave?? I do not have anyone to help me.
The weather is warming up here - supposed to get into the 70's to 80's by next week, so I really do not have to worry about the extra room causing them to get cold.

Let me know please,
Thank you
Annette from soon to be warm, sunny Placerville California

I had posted this question on top of another persons question and did not get a response, so that is why I am starting another topic. I do not have anyone to help me with the bees and so the response to this would be different.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: No help with adding supers!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 12:52:18 pm »
Annette.  I hear your plight about going away and leaving things alone.  My own opinion will be as follows, listen for others definitely.  I would add an extra super, just to be on the safe side, they needs lots of room to store the nectar before it is "turned" into honey.  Lots of room.  If your temperatures are going to be so high next week, I don't think that the colony will be too chilled to worry about.  But again, I do not know your climatic conditions.  Maybe others that live closer to you, have more experience with your weather conditions would have better advice, but that is my one cents worth.  Best of a beautiful day, good luck, good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 01:40:56 pm »
Are there drawn comb in the supers or foundation?   If drawn comb, just add another one. If foundation, then wait until the last minute and then add it on top. If you have no one else to help, then it is better to have more space, even foundation, than for them to run out of room whilst your away.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 02:14:39 pm »
I'd have at least one empty box on if I was going to be gone for 2 1/2 weeks.  And that's assuming this is a recent package in one box.  If it's filled two boxes, I'd give them two more before I left.  Things change quickly.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 02:24:38 pm »
Thank you for the help
Annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 02:11:59 am »
Ann, the best of wishes for you, and hope all goes well.  Cindi.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything