Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too many swarm!  (Read 1542 times)

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
Too many swarm!
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:05:28 pm »
Just came from the beeyard and have 2 swarms in nearby bushes.  One is really nice big one, bigger than a 3 lb package by quite a bit.  Maybe 4-5 lbs.  The other is about a 3 lber.. I am out of boxes and am seriiously doubting my beekeeping skills!  This is 2 weeks from my first swarm which seems to still be in place next to my 2 original hives.   Are these all coming from one hive?  I cant seem to stop the bleeding.  I put supers on the original  swarm hive.  They swarmed again and I captured them,took 3 frames out of the upper hive boody and took with the 2nd swarm to a different lacation.  Now  5 days from swarm#2 2 more swarms.  Help!

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Re: Too many swarm!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:20:56 pm »
Breath deep...they will find a home..consider them a donation to your local wildlife..
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 12:10:41 am »
established colonies draw wild swarms to the bee yard,  it might be that those are not yours but wild swarms.

we have had 3 wild ones come in this year in my back yard and 10 last summer.

catch and hive them! :-D
bailey

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 12:51:02 am »
You're right .  There may be a possibbility of  a wild one.  We did catch the large swarm tonight in a Nuc box, and a friend is going to set up a 4th hive with them.  It was nice sized and should work out well.  He is going to monitor them closely to see if the queen is doing her thing.  The smaller one we put in a package box for another person to bolster a weak hive with.  I am hoping by removing a couple more frames from the hive I suspect may have swarmed again, complete with bees, I may finally have the population under control.  Now to make sure they get to raising some brood, and get going again.  Thanks for all your help!

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:01:58 am »
Thanks for the swarm gg!!

I may wait a day to install when the weather is better.  The other swarm that we put in a cage package will be used to start up a new hive - RS was pleased with the size and was just going to add some brood/egg frames from another hive and get 'em going.

I know you are exasperated, but it sure was a boat load of fun for me. Made my evening!!  Just what I needed last night!

anything