Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Virgin queens MIA?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Virgin queens MIA?
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:51:34 am »
    I meant to post this last night with others but, here goes.

We received our state apiary newsletter a few days back and an added feature is from the state inspectors.  One of them has noticed that more queens than normal are not returning from their mating flights in the southern part of the state.  Personally I haven't had this problem, yet, and don't know of anyone in this area that has.  I have been reading, it seems, more about hives going queenless after swarming this year.  Has anyone else noticed this or am I just off my rocker? :?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Steve M.

• House Bee
    • Maine Homesteading
Re: Virgin queens MIA?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:23:40 am »
I suspect that is what happened with my hive this year up here in Maine.  There was one opened queen cell in my hive, lots of drones, no pollen, no eggs, larvae,etc, and honey bound.  I still haven't seen any evidence of a new queen after 4 weeks.  I am introducing a replacement queen today.  May be related...may be not.

--Steve