Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splitting a new package  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
Splitting a new package
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:47:47 am »
Need some advise. If I purchased 2 - 4# packages and wanted to use one queen and 1/2 of a package in an observation hive, can the rest of the package be shaken into a 10 frame deep with the other package queen and bees?
Thanks, Bobb
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
Re: Splitting a new package
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:07:29 pm »
How about putting them both in a hive, let them get settled and then pull some frames and queen to put in the ob hive.  Then you can let remaining bees raise a queen or buy one.   You could also do a newspaper combine at that point. 

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 02:04:57 pm »
How about putting them both in a hive, let them get settled and then pull some frames and queen to put in the ob hive.  Then you can let remaining bees raise a queen or buy one.   You could also do a newspaper combine at that point. 
I was thinking of that but wasn't sure if there was enough time the first season to do a split.
Thanks
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 02:14:06 pm »
I'll let you know come mid may how that works, . I'm gonna try it , I had planned on splits but lost some hives, but have queens inroute, so I'm gonna hive them and then one month later pull three frames, and add the new queens. I also have already wax pulled frames so figured that would help.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 06:16:22 pm »
Having the pulled frames should help. I'm starting with coated plasticell.

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

anything