Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goldenrod Highway  (Read 4005 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Goldenrod Highway
« on: September 22, 2006, 06:44:09 pm »
I had to drive to the Pittsburgh area today from Philadelphia and was just amazed at the abundance of Goldenrod along the PA turnpike, from small patches to several acres on both sides of the highway, along steep and rolling hills and fields, just wish my girls could forage on them. Anybody else notice the abundant Goldenrod in their area  :?:

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Goldenrod Highway
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 09:32:20 pm »
We drove from south Jersey to Syracuse, NY last Saturday and noticed fields and fields of goldenrod, especially as we got north of Scranton and into NY.  I commented more than once along the way, "wish I had a hive there!"

-- Kris

Offline lee

• House Bee
    • http://budsbees.com
Goldenrod Highway
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:42:17 pm »
i live in monroe mi . and we are cover up with it , i drove up to detroit today and i-75 is wall to wall with it . but i have 4 hives. and thay just about stop. i don't know what happen. we had a lot of rain and cool days and in the 40s at night. now thay say rain all weekend.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Goldenrod Highway
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 10:27:25 am »
had to drive to the Pittsburgh area today from Philadelphia and was just amazed at the abundance of Goldenrod along the PA turnpike, from small patches to several acres on both sides of the highway, along steep and rolling hills and fields, just wish my girls could forage on them. Anybody else notice the abundant Goldenrod in their area

I don't think there's a day that goes by the I wish I had my bees closer to the highways.  PA does have an abundance of wild flowers along side the road.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Goldenrod Highway
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 06:36:16 pm »
In Washington our Department of Transportation mows every thing within the highway right of ways.  No wild flowers, few weeds, some trees (landscaped) but lots of grass.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Goldenrod Highway
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 04:10:55 am »
I got some nice goldenrod honey this year, I laugh now, how I planted goldenrod in my garden, when it was so prevalent along the road this year.  :lol:

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Goldenrod Highway
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 07:36:46 pm »
It's all over the place.  It's now growing on th side of my house,  I'm gonna leave it there.  Where I live, it will be the main crop for me, since everything else has been rained out.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Myron Rotruck

• New Bee
subject
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 09:04:00 pm »
We have it here in Arkansas as well, but I have looked at alot of it around my place and my girls are not, I repeat are "not" touching it. And I am not the only one on this board that has been seeing the same thing in their area as well. But the girls are working hard, they have found something they like better.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Goldenrod Highway
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 09:07:42 pm »
Is Golden Rod that Yellow Flower'd weed that you see growing in crops, I think ive seen it, but I dont know if its it.

:roll:
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Goldenrod Highway
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 10:49:05 pm »
My bees are finally working it though with no particular zeal. The purple loosestrife is tapped out but the asters seem to be drawing them now along with the staghorn sumac and an array of other misc. blossoming plants. It's interesting because I expected them to focus intensely on particular species one at a time.

anything