Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laying?  (Read 9388 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Re: Laying?
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 11:25:51 pm »
Congrats Jerry, Nothing like the first egg. Especially if you raised them from peeps. It seems like the wait is going to take forever.
All that Egg Bound talk for nothing, well almost nothing, now you know something about it and how to deal with it if it ever comes about.
Good luck.
We also sell ours for $4.00 per dozen here. My kids go all over the block and sell them. We always have about 15-20 dozen in the egg fridge and we rotate accordingly. Its good for them and its good for the feed bill. About a bag a week plus scraps and about 80 lbs of flax seed per month. So we do a little better than break even. Not much though. We do ok selling the chicks that we incubate as well. Just raising kids.... Ya know.....
Congrats again Jerry
That is great.
Here is our first egg from a few years back.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 12:39:28 am »
Hey Frantz, when I enlarged the pic my entire screen was filled up with the same pop up Annette and I were talking about in another post.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 09:30:38 am »
I went to put my hand in a nest last night to get the eggs and came out with a 4 foot grey rat snake!  It had 4 eggs in it!  I put it in the car and drove about 2 miles away and turned it loose.  No profits this month!
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 12:26:43 pm »
I went to put my hand in a nest last night to get the eggs and came out with a 4 foot grey rat snake! 

So that's why I got the guineas.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 01:45:13 pm »
Eggs go for $4 for regular sized larges with x-large going for $5/doz at the farmer's market. Smaller banty size for about $3/doz.

Right now I sell to a local bakery for just $2/doz. It is steady and I drop them off once per week. At the farmer's market you HAVE to stay the full time--9am to 1pm whether you are sold out or not. Then you pay $5/week for the booth plus I believe $25 yearly registration fee.

Right now the cheaper rate is more worth it to me as my time on Saturday is extremely important and I would sell out by 9:30am and sit there for hours on end. Perhaps when I have a free summer when the Army doesn't take me away for months on end I can grow the garden I want and offer up more more so it will be more worth my while.

Until then I have a steady customer who will take any and every egg I have any day of the year summer or winter so I am contented.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 02:23:58 pm »
I went to put my hand in a nest last night to get the eggs and came out with a 4 foot grey rat snake! 

So that's why I got the guineas.

I havn't seen rat snakes but Miss Ginny lets me know if anything is even thinking of coming near my pastures!  They don't miss a thing! AND she is a prolific layer for my "niche" market of adventurous eaters!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 02:34:57 pm »
How do you find your ginny nests?  I found a neighbor's ginny nesting in our yard last year and put the eggs in an incubator and hatched them.  Those things stay "wild" no matter if they are hand raised.  they're crazy.  I like that 'niche' market idea.  I bet you charge top dollar if you have to find those nests!!!
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 03:58:40 pm »
 YEPPERS, $4 for 6 eggs!! Just luck I think..as you know it's hard to hone in as they "throw" their voices!  I know how she sounds when she is laying, & remember where she likes to go.  Guess it's too much to hope that she will EVER lay in the henhouse.. :roll:  I mark the oldest eggs & leave 3-4 in the nest cause she changes location every time I clear one out. That way she will stay in one place for a couple of weeks.  Can't let her see I'm snooping either or she will move! :-x  That reminds me I've gotta call the guinea lady & get her a friend or few! I use the older eggs myself, they stay good for baking forever if you  wash as you are using em.  Brendhan & Janele ate some mixed with my chix scrambled while they were here. Good luck!

Jody

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 05:52:53 pm »
My guineas are 7 weeks old. How do you tell male from female? One looks like s/he has more stuff popping out of the face around the beak.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »
Jerrymac, I don't know! :?  I think the males are more cone-headed?  I only knew Ginny was a girl for sure when she layed eggs!  She was the smaller of the 2 I had left & more femenine looking, if you can call one femenine..They look like the Skexis from the Dark Crystal to me! The lady I got em from has more of a clue than me so that question will be asked when I pick up my new ones. If I can see what she's talking about then can pass the info on!  She raises all sorts of things, rare pheasants, pied & white peacocks, weird turkeys...quail...it's always an adventure over there! BTW, one of my hens lays HUMONGEOUS eggs duck sized or bigger!  Will take a pic before selling.  Still waiting for the EE's to start.  One is doing pale pinkish, I like the green/blue ones.   :-D Jody

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 07:19:29 pm »
There was another egg today. Not sure what happened but it was outside the nest box, broken open and there was no yoke in it. I'm wondering if the hen was sitting on the side of the box and dropped the egg and then one of them ate the yoke.  :?

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 09:19:43 pm »
they ate it. surprised they didn't eat the shell.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 12:23:52 am »
Yeah, they definately ate it... mine do that a lot... sometimes it's good, like when I went on vacation, and knew they would run out of food 2 days early... I knew they'd be fine because they'd just eat the eggs.  Sure enough, they were just fine.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 12:27:17 am »
Make sure you get broken eggs out fast as you can or they will connect the dots & eat the eggs!  If you are going to feed back any old ones you find, boil em & chunk em up so they don't look like eggs.  I put em in the vitamix so the shell chunks are very small.  Got 6dz this week so the girls are starting to work on their debt!! :-D

anything