Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Early queen rearing  (Read 10728 times)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Early queen rearing
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 05:12:03 am »
1. The packages we see around here are not shaken through an excluder...there are drones in the packages.

2.  If it is the overwintered local feral population you are hoping to get drones from, they will probably produce drones later than the overwintered kept bees (package genetics?) that are fed in early spring.

deknow

Most ALL package bees sold in the USA are not shaken through an excluder...

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :) 
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 11:18:33 am »
beesnweeds
I too am wanting to push for early queens as a way at trying to beat out the africanized genetics in my area.  What I have done is to provide the girls with foundationless and or drone comb to them in the fall.  Then I have been feeding them like mad.  I am hopeful that since they are being fed and feeling pretty sure of themselves they will start to produce an abundance of drones "early."  This would then allow me to graft queens and give me a better chance of them mating with genetics I prefer.
I am still pretty new and have alot to learn and foul up before I get it right, but I think we have the same goal.
Jason
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 12:00:29 pm »
beesnweeds
I too am wanting to push for early queens as a way at trying to beat out the africanized genetics in my area.  What I have done is to provide the girls with foundationless and or drone comb to them in the fall.  Then I have been feeding them like mad.  I am hopeful that since they are being fed and feeling pretty sure of themselves they will start to produce an abundance of drones "early."  This would then allow me to graft queens and give me a better chance of them mating with genetics I prefer.
I am still pretty new and have alot to learn and foul up before I get it right, but I think we have the same goal.
Jason

Do you know african drones fly early in the day and are faster on the queens ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 12:18:51 pm »
I did not know about them flying earlier but did hear they were faster than European drones
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 02:55:53 pm »
I did not know about them flying earlier but did hear they were faster than European drones
About at 1 Hr.or so.

BEE  HAPPY Jim 134 :)
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy