Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with frames from dead out?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline PeskySquirrel

• New Bee
What to do with frames from dead out?
« on: March 01, 2010, 01:53:53 am »
My two hives didn't make it (too many mites, I suspect), so I'll be starting over in April. My question is what should I do with the dozen or so frames I now have that are packed with pollen and/or uncapped honey/nectar? I'd like to re-use as much comb as I can to give my new packages a head start, but these frames don't have any "laying room" and I don't want to clog up the brood nest. I have enough "open" comb for the first story of what will become the brood chambers for my two new packages, but it's the second story that I will have trouble providing "open" comb for. Any advice on how I can get the comb cleaned up and ready for laying? Or if not that, make sure they don't go to waste?

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: What to do with frames from dead out?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:28:52 am »

Keep the combs in warm water two hours. It dilutes the syrup/honey.
Shake the sugar water off.
Save those which have good pollen store. 

Keep the nuc warm. It helps build up. In the picture I have a terrarium heater.

When you start the new package, give them only that much frames as they can occupye.

One frame pollen, one honey and the rest 3-4 cleaned combs. Put extra wall into the box.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: What to do with frames from dead out?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:26:43 am »
Finski gives good advice but I would add if you will not be using them for a while, after cleaning you could store them in a freezer or spray them down with Certan http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=18

to keep wax moths at bay.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com