Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Used wood for hives?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Used wood for hives?
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:06:03 am »
I often come across old furniture being disposed of for one reason or another. Many times they are made of hardwoods and recently I've been thinking about reusing the wood for supers. What are your thoughts on old finishes inside the hives? I was thinking about just letting the wood weather. Is it worth the effort or is it too risky? I like to reuse stuff when I can and the idea of making some supers out of maple, etc. sounds pretty good to me.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Used wood for hives?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:13:12 am »
ContactMe.  Bump.  No one has answered.  Someone will have comments.  Have a most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:19:49 pm »
 I love using used (free :)) wood for anything. I do try to stay away from hardwoods due to their weight. All my frames, slatracks, bottom boards, tops and most of my boxes are from used or free wood. Not necessarily economical for what you can buy them for until I figure in the freight. However, I always run the used stuff across the joiner or through a planer to get rid of any stain or paint. I would not be comfortable using stained wood on the inside
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 02:49:01 pm »
Any kind of wood will work fine for hives,
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline golddust-twins

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 05:06:25 pm »
I have an elderly gentleman friend who makes my boxes, bottom boards, lids, etc.  He use to be a cabinetmaker in his working days.  I have woodenware made from all types of wood new and used.  As long as it isn't treated you are safe.........my favorite woodenware is made from Port Orford Cedar. 
                                  Corinne

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:04:48 pm »
If there is some kind of treatment on the inside "side" of the board, you could always sand it off before making the parts.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 08:44:30 pm »
or run it through the jointer or planer. wear a dust mask whether you sand or joint or plane.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 02:50:45 am »
just keep in mind how heavy the supers are loaded with honey then add some more weight cause your using a hardwood.  weight is much more the issue as you can sand off the paint, stains, and vanishs.  guess the better question is do you really want to life heavier supers.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

anything