Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: POSSIBLE SCAM ON BEEKEEPERS  (Read 7419 times)

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
POSSIBLE SCAM ON BEEKEEPERS
« on: February 13, 2008, 04:39:57 pm »
I just received the following email:

"Hi,
 My name is James and I want to know if you carry or ca order 200 pails of honey to be picked up from your location.
Please let me know the total cost for all 200 pails so I will forward my credit card information to you for full payment processing prior to pick-up by my freight forwarder.
 Hope to read from you as soon as you have a quote for me .

James."

Nobody wants 200 pails of honey.  that is 1000 gallons of honey.  Anyone requesting 1000 gallons of honey would most likely buy a truck load of drums vice pails.  I thought I would just throw this out there for folks to ponder.

I am not responding to this person at all.  They are phishing for something.  I am not sure for what, it is possible to be like the scams from ebay or maybe they just want to sell my info on the internet..  Who knows. 

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: POSSIBLE SCAM ON BEEKEEPERS
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:53:37 pm »
and these days, it would make more sense to make money transfers through something like paypal.  who would send out credit card info to someone they contacted on the 'net?  why would he specify pails and not pounds, or as you say, gallons.

does sound strange.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 04:53:49 pm »
Sounds phoney to me.  Are you advertised somewhere that they would know you are a beek?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:10:19 pm »
If theres a way to contact him by another computer, say work or library tell him you only deal in cash! You'll supply the first pail for him to taste for cash pick-up only. Maybe he's just an uninformed buyer thinking a pail is a bottle. How did he find you? Website? It almost sounds too unsophisticated to be a scam.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 07:59:27 pm »
sounds like a kid playing a prank to me :roll:

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:12:42 pm »
It's definitely a scam, these scam artists are trying every angle they can.  I got one addressed to me as a Pilates instructor, from some bozo in Italy who supposedly was going to be here for a month and wanted lessons, he wanted me to send him my fee info and he'd forward me a bank order (no doubt for way more than what I asked for, then he'd ask me to refund him the difference - yea, right).  They work all the angles they can, the scumbags!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 09:22:03 pm »
I Delete everything that dosen't make sense.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Ronnie Elliott

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 10:12:45 pm »
Do you have 1,000 gallons of honey to sell, can you get it, do you accept credit cards for payment?   If you don't accept c.c., advise him to please send you a cashires check for the amount you want for the honey.   Ask him if barrels would be alright, if not go buy some pails.  When you recieve the check call the bank to see if there is suffiecient funds in that account.  A cashiers check can't be canseled,  either way you get the money guaranteed before he gets there to collect the honey.  If he is playing games, you will know it before you order, or sell the honey.  I wouldn't pass up a sale when I was guranteed with money in hand.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:23:19 pm »
"Hope to read from you soon."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jl

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:29:39 pm »
BMAC and others,

I'm a cop and I'll tell you to be very careful.  One possible scam would be to send you a "normal" looking check to pay for the honey.  The check will be for more than you're asking for the honey.  He'll contact you and say, "my secretary screwed up, just cash the check, keep an extra hundred for your trouble and send me the remaining money.  The problem comes when the bank gives you the money, you send the extra back and then low and behold the bank finally figures out the check is bogus.  The banks really need to get it together.  I've seen this done numerous times and most of the time it's an ederly person who is the victim.  It just sick, but I'm pretty cynical after years of dealing with sick people.

Offline jl

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 10:31:29 pm »
one other thing.  My cynical side kicked in again.  Be careful of cashier checks and money orders, I've seen some pretty decent frauds made on a computer.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 10:38:29 pm »
If I had that much honey and some one wanted it. The person could come to my house or agree to meat me at a location and have Washington with him.

The only money order I deal with is U.S. postal M.O.'s
bottom line.
doak

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 10:58:58 pm »
one other thing.  My cynical side kicked in again.  Be careful of cashier checks and money orders, I've seen some pretty decent frauds made on a computer.

Being a retired cop, I must concure.  If ever sent money by check never draw on it until sufficient time has elapsed for it to clear--for international banking that can be over 2 weeks--rule of thumb give it 3 weeks.  When something looks good it is probably fishy, then I say; if in doubt don't.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 12:48:47 am »

So what do you think of the following? Is it a scam? Notice it is not addressed to anyone. I have also heard that the IRS does not do correspondence through E-mail. This is just someone seeking information.

Here it is in it's entirety;

A Secure Way to Receive Your Tax Refunds

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that
you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $873.20.
Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-9 days in order to
process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here

Note: For security reasons, we will record your ip-address, the date and time.
Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicated.

Regards,
Internal Revenue Service

Copyright 2008, Internal Revenue Service U.S.A. All rights reserved.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 02:17:19 am »
I read many of these at work, wherre they pay me to, they amuse me.

If you said yes, what would have happened is you would have ended up giving him your bank details, your address and dob. Then you would have given your credit card date and expiry so he could "pay money into it" then one morning you wake up broke and with a twin in Romania or Nairobi.

If you were really stupid, you would have been conned into paying "governemnt fees and duties" before hand.

"Honey" can also be, computers, tles, machinery, anything that you are interested in. Your email addy comes from forum sites and groups. If your email address is public and associated with any organisation, company, hobby, work you name it, you will one day get these emails.

The end result is the same.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 08:44:57 am »

So what do you think of the following? Is it a scam? Notice it is not addressed to anyone. I have also heard that the IRS does not do correspondence through E-mail. This is just someone seeking information.

Here it is in it's entirety;

A Secure Way to Receive Your Tax Refunds

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that
you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $873.20.
Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-9 days in order to
process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here

Note: For security reasons, we will record your ip-address, the date and time.
Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicated.

Regards,
Internal Revenue Service

Copyright 2008, Internal Revenue Service U.S.A. All rights reserved.

Jerry, there's a warning about this very e-mail scam on my online banking page.  Here's the link to the IRS page about it.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 09:58:40 am »
Oh dear, wouldn't it be so nice to live in a world of trust.  Everywhere you go there is untrusted stuff, everywhere.  I think that I will just stay in my little world of trusty stuff, I have high filtering on my computer and even alot of stuff in my e-mails go to junk e-mail folder, stuff that probably shouldn't, but my security level is fairly high.  It is easier to check junk e-mails than to get crap come into my home.  Oh, those days when life was simple.  Have a beautiful and awesome day, love our life, on this special place, called Earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 09:59:33 am »
Sounds phoney to me.  Are you advertised somewhere that they would know you are a beek?

It come thru the email address from my Beek website.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 10:02:40 am »
BMAC and others,

I'm a cop and I'll tell you to be very careful.  One possible scam would be to send you a "normal" looking check to pay for the honey.  The check will be for more than you're asking for the honey.  He'll contact you and say, "my secretary screwed up, just cash the check, keep an extra hundred for your trouble and send me the remaining money.  The problem comes when the bank gives you the money, you send the extra back and then low and behold the bank finally figures out the check is bogus.  The banks really need to get it together.  I've seen this done numerous times and most of the time it's an ederly person who is the victim.  It just sick, but I'm pretty cynical after years of dealing with sick people.

Bingo....  This is the specific scam that came to my mind.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 10:05:22 am »

Outstanding frauds that will not haunt you until approx 15 days after you deposit the check.  We accept cash......  The universal payment form.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

anything