Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fall turnips, mustard, and rutabagas  (Read 9727 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Fall turnips, mustard, and rutabagas
« on: October 02, 2007, 10:39:45 pm »
I have been preparing my garden for fall greens. (a favorite in the south) After the harvest is complete, I will let them go to seed. My girls really loved them last year. I am planting a large patch....plenty to share and lots of left overs for the girls this spring.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Fall turnips, mustard, and rutabagas
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:54:18 am »
Steve, yeah!!!  Go, go, go, isn't it fun!!!  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 07:42:07 pm »
The bees LOVE turnips and mustards...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 01:33:17 am »
Ooooh, never thought of turnips!!!!  Yeah!!!  I love these garden delights.  Best of our best life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:10:35 am »
Cindi, Do you eat the greens as well as the root? In the south, we prefer to eat the greens over the root.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:07:13 am »
One turnip in a pot roast or a stew can really wake it up.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 11:25:11 am »
Oh yeah, I love turnips and rutabagas, eating the roots, don't actually enjoy the leaves too much. 

Turnips are white, rutabagas are orange.  I really love to mix rutabagas with carrots and mash them all up, so yummy, puts an entire different spin on carrots!!!!  And right Michael, a turnip (I call rutabagas turnips as well) in a stew really does liven it up completely.  Hmmm....now I am thinking stew for dinner!!!  Have a wonderful day, eat your veggies  :) ;)  Cindi

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 03:49:13 am »
This post has brought at my mind my times of school, when the teacher was speaking about (Señor Rábano) Lord Turnip  :-D and his agricultural reform in England.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 09:45:04 am »
Abejaruco, now that is interesting stuff.  Have a wonderful day.  Cindi

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 11:37:57 am »
the other thing they like, and i was surprised by this, is broccoli that has gone to flower.  i had so much this year that some got away from me.  it was one of the bees favorite flowers.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 04:39:27 pm »
My wife in her infinite wisdom planted mustard greens in the yard one year. The bees like them. They also helped pollinate the crap out of them. I know have "volunteers" growing all over the yard.

Weeds!!

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 02:10:09 am »
Here in Skagit County where we not only grow better Tulips then Holland (when Holland had a blight hit their tulips they got their restock from Skagit County) and were growing seed crops are big business bees go hog wild in the fields of cabbage, mustard, chard, spinach, and cucmbers are covered with bees for weeks.  Turnips and Rutabagas are also big bee draws. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 08:36:09 pm »
My fall greens garden has produced a bumper crop. I have eaten so many greens that the whites of my eyes have turned green. It has been a pleasure to share with so many friends.

Steve

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 10:19:45 am »
Steve, you resurrected a post, now I am back onto the thoughts of planting these greens next year for the bees, (and human consumption).

I think I might have spoke about my broccoli this year being a fiasco.  It was just downright not the year for broccoli here, I let them all go to seed, and yes, the bees covered them.

I was rereading the posts, and there was one that Brian talked about the turnips in a stew.  I think I have to make another stew today, it is time.  The last big stew I made I didn't put any turnip in it, and it was missed.  Oh brother, here we go again.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 11:31:47 am »
In addition to collards, what other greens do you recommned for the hone gardener? I have nver had mustard greens.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 07:20:24 pm »
KONASAD,

I did not plant collards this year, but I have in the past. I like them but they are not one of my favorites. I plant turnips (white egg and purple top), mustard (slick leaf and curly leaf), and rutabagas. We eat the greens and roots. I season them with smoked neck bones or ham hocks. Served with corn bread for sure. In the south, they can be grown in the fall and early spring. I have more trouble with the bugs in the spring so I only plant them in the fall.

I have never had a turnip in a stew or pot roast but I plan to try it very soon. In addition, I also plan to try rutabagas and carrots mashed. Never heard of the combination but it sounds yummy.

Steve 

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 09:45:33 pm »
Mashed carrots and cream sauce....yum

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 10:16:28 pm »
Nothing makes a stew like adding a rutabaga, turnip, and/or parsnip. 
Yestersay I made what I call the Fried Kitchen Special Stew. 

Take stew pot put on stove over low heat.
Add olive oil so things don't stick very quickly.
Gather together whatever's in the larder (frig & pantry).
Chop potatos, onions, carrots plus whatever else is on hand:
I used Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli, Mushrooms, and celery.
I put each item into the pot as it's chopped, stirring each time.
I chop and add the meat last because It cooks the fastest.

Take seasoning and corn starch and mix together then blend into a cup of warm water.
Place miture in microwave for 45 seconds (heating actives the seasonins better).

Add seasoning mixture to stew and stir, add more water as liquid thickens.,

The vegetables will actually have a fried glaze on them (therefore they old together better instead of getting mushy) and serve hot.
Make corn bread or biscuts before hand so they're baking while you're making the stew.

Elapsed time 30 minute.

If you want really good taco meat mix your taco seasoning into a cup of warm water and microwave for 45 seconds before adding it to the meat.  It activates the flavors and better blends the seasoning.  Believe me you'll notice the difference in flavor.

To answer your question: After retiring from Police work I turned to Restuarant Management until I had to retire again.
I figure that the 3rd time's the charm--that's how many times I've retired from occupations due to injuries.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 09:55:44 am »
Brian, Dallas, awe come on.  It is only 5:45 A.M. and now I am hungering for supper.  Brian I like your Fried Kitchen Special Stew, think I am heading that way tonight!!!  hee, hee.

Dallas,  I love vegetables with a creamed sauce, one of my favourites, and smashed carrots with such, ooooh to die for, yea!!!  gonna try that one too, really soon.  Best of all creamed vegies is creamed sauce over boiled cabbage, that is my all time favourite, or peas with that same sauce, hmmmm, yum, yum, yum.  I can't wait for supper.  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 11:31:29 am »
All of these roots can be "mashed" and mixed w/ other roots, potatoes, and squash and veggies(cauliflower for example). Whip'em up and bake a second time w/ cheese on top, honey and cinnamon, depending on varities used, bacon bits etc. Rutabaga and pumkin w/ some honey. Yum. Easily adaptable Experiment. Also can french fry many types as well.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".