Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive loses so for?  (Read 19146 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Hive loses so for?
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:26:00 pm »
so for this winter all my 28 hives look good, I feed during warm days also to help make sure they have plenty and not burn through their stores fast when warm days. I feed with top feeders and open feeders ( boardman feeders set out)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Hive loses so for?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:15:22 pm »
My 1 hive is doing great. I also feed during the warm days. The other beek here said he lost 3 hives out of 30 but they were weak going into the winter. He did an inspection and said he is still seeing eggs and larva in the brood. Odd to have during January I think.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 07:27:48 pm »
7 out of 7 still hanging in there.

Not too many warm days here however.
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline Erich

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:33:56 pm »
I Lost one of two hives. I haven't checked the other for a couple of weeks now though.   :-\

Offline SmokeEater2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:40:32 pm »
I lost the weaker of my 2 hives just recently. The other hive looks good so far.

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:15:50 pm »
2 hive still going strong.....I hope! Been too cold to really check on them.
Judging by the sound and the dead I've seen there OK.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 11:01:36 pm »
I went to my main beeyard today late this afternoon and not a lot of activity because of this sneaky cold front that moved in yesterday. I saw some flying and did a really quick check on a few.

One was on the ground flipped over bees absconded, bummer, another it looks like a rat tried to get in and some of the bees were clustered on the exterior of that hive, a small amount of perhaps 25 bees, the rat lost however.

If I have to make a guess, I think I'll come out of this winter with 45 hives, went in with 50. Will have to go back and check when the weather warms. I also will have to build a new hive stand and move about 8 hives as the ground they are on now is sinking and they are tilting badly.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 11:04:29 pm »
Wow so many people here with only 2 hives just like me. Well I had 2 hives, but just lost one. The other looks good so far.

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 12:31:39 am »
 I have lost 4 out of 40. I hope that there won't be anymore. But we have 2 more months of winter to look forward to. And it seems that Febuary is the worst month. With a little luck the rest will make it.
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 11:38:51 am »
2/2 for us.  I would have lost one but requeened in Dec and moved it to a nuc and fought off wax moths.  Yesterday I inspected and it has a nice little half moon of capped brood on both sides of the middle frame and population is growing.

Offline Damonh

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 12:01:06 pm »
lost one of my three hives. The temperature got up to 40 f. on Friday but returned to single digits on Saturday. I also fed in the fall, got a couple of gallons into each hive. I will be putting pollen substitute on in Feb.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 12:21:38 pm »
So far I'm 11 for 11, I think.  A couple of them are stacked, and then its a bit harder to tell which box the buzz is from...

I have at least 2 that are in single deeps, and were from swarms in August...I fed them but still don't know if they will have enough food till march...not that I can do much now, and am not too worried about them right now.

Rick
Rick

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 03:20:15 pm »
I have at least 2 that are in single deeps, and were from swarms in August...I fed them but still don't know if they will have enough food till march...not that I can do much now, and am not too worried about them right now.
Rick

I lost two hanging late season swarms b/c they couldn't store enough food. They were weak going in and died as a result. I suppose my apairy will be the stronger for it with time.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 03:42:52 pm »
lost 1 hive and another is looking iffy,but other 4 are looking ok.was outside just a little while ago and bees were in and out of couple of hives and temp here is hovering around 40 with ice and snow on the way!    bill

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 05:31:49 pm »
With my bees in NY, and myself in FL, I really don't know how they're doing, but I'd sure like to know!  I guess I will have to wait until I return to them in the middle of March to find out for sure :roll:

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 06:31:39 pm »
I'm one for one so far!  I hope I don't lose it.  It looked really good last week.  Temps here are around 20 deg.  Didn't open it up, but was still pretty heavy and lots of buzzing going on when I knocked on it. 

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 07:13:16 pm »
it was warm today so I took a walk by the hives and one didn't have any activity at the entrance, opened it up and 2 deeps of nothing, so chalk up 1 hive losed for me this winter.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 07:28:55 pm »
Same here. I walked around the bees today and found 1 out of 15 dead. Some are really lite and I have sugar dust on some of them. I hope they all make it.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 08:42:07 pm »
I am in the clear so far with my one hive.

They were out flying in droves today - took off the entrance reducer so they could bring out the dead. They seemed happy. Only peeked in the top because I thought it was still kind of cold and they seem to have as much stored honey as they did when I checked them a month ago. I know that isn't possible - but that's what it looked like!

I either have the greatest girls in the world or I am in for a very rude awakening this month! (Keep your fingers crossed for the greatest girls in the world option, please...)

- Jess

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 09:12:57 pm »
1 for 1 so far(here's hoping it makes it the rest of the way)  It hasn't been above 30F in over a month so I haven't been able to inspect or feed, but I did stick my ear to it yday and they answered the disturbance with a pretty vigorous buzzing.  Only 5 dead in the snow this week.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams