Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Baits for the SHB  (Read 6394 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Baits for the SHB
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:27:33 am »
Does anyone have recipes for making non toxic baits to attract the SHB into traps. I have heard that pollen patties is something they like and have been thinking of trying pollen + cider vinegar + yeast... any comments on this?

Mick

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
Re: Baits for the SHB
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 03:39:14 pm »
I don't have pollen to try, but have tried Apple Cider Vinegar, with banana peels. It seems to work inside the hive, but I have a trap that has been sitting on my porch for 5 days with nothing in it. So for outside you might try the pollen patties.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:38:56 am »
I understand University of Florida has developed a lure. I belive it may be available in some places. I will try and find the info.
John 3:16

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:32:17 am »
I understand University of Florida has developed a lure. I belive it may be available in some places. I will try and find the info.

That would be great sc-bee

Mick

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 07:15:48 pm »
    I use the 2 liter pop bottle moth trap in a perimeter around the backyard away from the hives.  They have to go through this before they get to the hives.  Yes I have found them in the traps, but also in the hives.  Since I get a variety of varmints in the traps I'll keep using them.  The shb seemed a bit more numerous this early spring, not quite so much now.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 07:41:00 pm »
    I use the 2 liter pop bottle moth trap in a perimeter around the backyard away from the hives.  They have to go through this before they get to the hives.  Yes I have found them in the traps, but also in the hives.  Since I get a variety of varmints in the traps I'll keep using them.  The shb seemed a bit more numerous this early spring, not quite so much now.

So what are you using for the bait?

I imagine the trap is a pop bottle with some 2-3mm holes cut around the top and suspended in trees etc

Mick

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 07:49:17 pm »
     Oooooops1  Sorry1

I found it here or somewhere else. 

1cup hot or warm water
1cup sugar
1cup apple cider vinegar
1 banana peal (the riper the better it seems)

Rinse out bottle.  Dissolve sugar in water and pour into the bottle.  After cooled add cider and banana peal.  Either let sit sealed for up to three days or cut a 1" diameter hole at shoulder of bottle immediately for use.  If I'm in a hurry I use it right away.  Either way seems to work.  If I get a good crop I'm going to try melons instead of bananas and see if there is a difference.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 08:53:41 pm »
Thanks qa

Mick

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 10:53:13 pm »
we have a variety of cockroach in Florida called a stinkbug; their alarm scent reminds me of the bee alarm scent from the one that stung me. I may capture and agitate a stinkbug and put it into a trap like the soda bottle one.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 01:13:19 am »
SlickMick

Check out these posts.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,10363.0.html

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,12707.0.html

Thanks for those links. I have to admit being concerned about putting anything as toxic as fipronil into my hives and I was hoping that I could find a bait that would work in the hive and also outside it such as the one qa.... posted. In Australia no chemicals are allowed in the hive and this makes it very difficult to deal with the shb if nothing else. Never the less I would be interested in knowing just how the authorities in the US view the use of chemicals such as fipronil within the hive and if they have any procedural does and don'ts associated with them.

Thanks for your interest

Mick

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 07:57:11 am »
Please see my post "To the users of Fipronel"

Mick

Offline MollySuesHoney

• New Bee
    • Molly Sue's Honey
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 10:46:52 am »
I've been off the board for almost a year.  Last year I lost almost every hive to SHB.  That was a major tax write off on my Schedule C.  It happened extremely quickly. It has caused me to rethink a lot of the practice that has served me well for years.  I'm now in a start up mode again; and, trying to do some private research in SHB control.  So far, no magic bullets have shown up.  We are headed into the real SHB explosion season.  I have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated based upon last year's experience.  Thus far I haven't seen all that many adults in the hives, but I didn't see that many last year either.  So, we will see.

Has anyone seen any further information on this report from Florida?

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/nea/ag_systems/sri/sustain_ag_sri_sare_trap.htm
Lawrence Underwood

Mobile, Alabama

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 06:58:41 pm »
That certainly is an interesting article and I wonder where they are at with the commercial release of their lure, especially when the report seems to be so positive about it.

Like you I lost my 2 hives to the beetle and have now taken steps to deal with it as much as I can within the limited tools and management practices available to us at the moment.

Out of curiosity had you just robbed your hives and placed the stickies back on the hive for cleaning prior to loosing out to the shb? That was my experience.

Mick

Offline MollySuesHoney

• New Bee
    • Molly Sue's Honey
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 04:53:24 pm »
I had robbed my hives leaving one medium of honey on each colony. Along with a deep with starter strip between to get drawn.  It has always worked every year.  By the time the fall flow hits I have always had very strong colonies with lots of new comb. There were plenty of bees in each hive.  My hives were booming. They had to beard in the evenings. Varroa was almost nonexistent in every hive.  The hives were all in a well lit bee yard.  There was no spraying in the operational radius that I know of.  I went back in one week to check everything out.  That is when I noticed an increasing load of beetles.  I doubled up on AJ's and other measures.  The traps did catch a LOT of beetles.  Within a very few weeks almost every hive either conked or absconded.  I was on site when on abscond took place. 

Lawrence Underwood

Mobile, Alabama

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 01:32:00 am »
     So far this year I'm doing okay with the beetles.  After speaking with different folks they agreed that if I use a bait in the hives then I'm setting up a neon sign for the beetles saying 'Eat at Queenies'.
     That's why this year I'm trying a perimeter type approach.  This may be inneffective since you can fall down in my backyard and be within reach of the property line.  But I figure it's better than setting them all on and right up against my hives.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 09:00:59 pm »
I am a very new beek, so I am just repeating what I have been told.  An inexpensive and reasonably effective manage/control method is to place strips of corrugated cardboard in the hives on the bottom board.  The SHB, obviously, likes the dark cozy places and will (theoretically) crawl inside the corrugation.  You then remove/replace the strips regularly and burn them.  This combined with treating the ground outside to kill the pupae supposedly works fairly well.  Again, just what I have been told.  My SHB issues, I hope, are fairly minimal, so this is going to be my approach.  I will let you know how it goes.  best of luck
-Joker
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 12:57:29 am »
    We have some folks here that treat the ground under the hives with Guardstar and others that use rock salt.  From what I've heard, both work but one is highly toxic.  Still others have tried boiling hot water poured on the ground under the hives.  Have not heard either way on that.  I think I'll try the rock salt, natural, will help keep the grass down, and I've seen bees on rock salt that I have left under the carport in a forgotten tray (sidetracked).  So I guess there is something they want out of it at times.

anything