Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Concened  (Read 1633 times)

Offline CAN-I-GET-A-ROLL-TIDE

• New Bee
Concened
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:44:56 pm »
I am a new beekeeper and this is my first winter as such. Well last summer I did a cutout and because it was late in the summer they didnt get a tun of stores, well I have been checking the aprox honey by lifting the hive well its been getting concerning so I made a emergancey candy board feeder got it ready last night put it in the oven and let it dry over night, today it was hard and was up to 40 today so I went and popped the top of the hive to find the cluster top of the frames. I slowly put the feeder on top and rocked it back and forth to get the bees to move through the frames so I didnt squash them. Well the ensuing hours all the snow around the hive turned yellow/green from cleansing flights. THey flew around most of the day till it started cooling back off. Im concerned because I went out at dusk and it was 36 and bees were still on the porch, will they be clustering back up tonight? Also the hole I drilled in the feeder (1") shall I leave that open or close it up. Im just concerned about any moister thats left in the candy board getting trapped in the hive. I also put dry sugar on top of the candy board to hopefully absorb any moister.........do you think my bees will be ok?  :? :? :? :? :?   

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Concened
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:55:03 pm »
In Florida, yes. In Alaska, no. Go to your profile and add your location. Every question you ask depends on it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CAN-I-GET-A-ROLL-TIDE

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:06:42 pm »
Done, but to save you the time its Northern Utah

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:24:19 pm »
If you have a basketball size cluster, they should make it if they don't run out before first bloom. Check when you can and keep dry sugar on top.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:51:03 pm »
insulate  now while your bees still live, with 2 inches Styrofoam all round.
leave 1 1/2 to 2 inches bottom entrance as in entrance reducer inverted. so the small entrance is up
hopefully the dead don't close off this opening. make your top entrance drill through the foam board at the location of the top entrance. don't have a top entrance drill through the hive body too

jay

oh google Sam Comfort in Philly part 2

anything