Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: STRANGE SITE  (Read 2518 times)

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
STRANGE SITE
« on: September 11, 2006, 09:53:24 am »
THIS WEEK END I SAW A STRANGE SITE (AT LEAST FOR ME). I SPOTTED THE QUEEN IN A HIVE THAT HAD ANOTHER BEE ATTACHED TO HER. IT WAS LIKE SHE WAS DRAGGING IT AROUND OR MAYBE IT WAS FIGHTING HER? ANY WAY THIS HIVE HAS DEVELOPED A WAX MOTH PROBLEM. I KNOW NOW IF I SEE WHAT LOOKS LIKE SAW DUST FALLING OUT THE BOTTOM SCREEN BOARD TO TAKE ACTION FAST. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS TYPE OF ACTION BESIDES ME. ( I'M SURE ETHEY HAVE) I HAD TO BREAK THIS HIVE DOWN AND BREAK UP HOUSE KEEPING. THEY HAD BEEN QUEENLESS FOR SO LONG, CAUSING THEM TO BECOME TO WEAK TO DEFEND AGAINST THE WAX MOTH. I'LL KNOW MORE OF WHAT TO DO NEXT TIME, I HOPE.

COLVIN
FROM BEE TO THEE, BEE BUZZING ON

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
STRANGE SITE
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 09:37:13 pm »
Usually if a bee is wrestling with the queen she is being balled.  Maybe by only one bee, but still it sounds like she is being attacked.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: STRANGE SITE
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 10:46:38 am »
THIS WEEK END I SAW A STRANGE SITE (AT LEAST FOR ME). I SPOTTED THE QUEEN IN A HIVE THAT HAD ANOTHER BEE ATTACHED TO HER. IT WAS LIKE SHE WAS DRAGGING IT AROUND OR MAYBE IT WAS FIGHTING HER? ANY WAY THIS HIVE HAS DEVELOPED A WAX MOTH PROBLEM. I KNOW NOW IF I SEE WHAT LOOKS LIKE SAW DUST FALLING OUT THE BOTTOM SCREEN BOARD TO TAKE ACTION FAST. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS TYPE OF ACTION BESIDES ME. ( I'M SURE ETHEY HAVE) I HAD TO BREAK THIS HIVE DOWN AND BREAK UP HOUSE KEEPING. THEY HAD BEEN QUEENLESS FOR SO LONG, CAUSING THEM TO BECOME TO WEAK TO DEFEND AGAINST THE WAX MOTH. I'LL KNOW MORE OF WHAT TO DO NEXT TIME, I HOPE.

COLVIN
Colvin, I was reading old posts and came across yours and have a comment.
I saw the same sort of situation in one of my hives a while ago.  I saw the queen with a dead bee hanging off her thorax.  She was running around in a fever, I tried to remove the dead bee from her, I could not.  The worker had obviously bitten her, died, and the mandibles were lodged in the queen thorax.  I killed the queen because I did not believe that she would live very long, and requeened.  All turned out OK.  it was a longer story but this is the short version of it.  Out of curiosity, you said the hive was queenless for a long time.  Did this queen that had the bee attached to her die?  Did you see her or something?  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: STRANGE SITE
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 11:29:52 pm »
Maybe this is a sign that it is time for the Queen to go
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon