Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fully Drawn Frames  (Read 5816 times)

manowar422

Fully Drawn Frames
« on: June 03, 2006, 03:54:27 pm »
Received this email from the folks at Honey Supercell the other day.
Seems as if they are taking orders with product ready to ship.

We have our fully-drawn, full-size frames 4.9mm available now.
www.honeysupercell.com

--Mark

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 04:19:43 pm »
Seems nice.
The one problem could be the weight. A full 10 frames could be very heavy. Even if it is filled with brood.
From the website:
We have stock of the 4.9mm Fully Drawn,

That looks a lot like just foundation to me?

Pieco Frames may also be 4.9 but I am not sure on that :
http://www.iinet.com/~pierco/products.htm*edit* fixed link

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

IndianaBrown

Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 12:06:52 am »
My Pierco frames are about 5.2

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 12:12:01 am »
I just ordered some of the supercell.

Pierco is not 4.9m, it depends on the style what size it is.  

Pierco deep frames 5.25mm
Pierco med frames 5.35mm
Pierco foundation 5.2mm

Pierco is also not fully drawn comb.  It's just foundation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 12:21:44 am »
I correct the screwed up link. You are right the pierco frames are foundation only.

But are the Honeysupercells foundation or fully drawn cells like the permacomb?

Thanks for correcting me on the cell size of the pierco I wasn't sure so I am happy to receive the right info.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 10:18:03 pm »
>But are the Honeysupercells foundation or fully drawn cells like the permacomb?

The ones in the link are fully drawn cells like PermaComb.

The other frames they cell are like pierco frames except for refinements such as larger cell size for supers and fake eggs in the bottom of the cell, to discourage the queen laying in them, and metal reinforcments on the ears, etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:57:02 pm »
If fake eggs discourage the queen from laying in them, won't it also discourage the bees from storing honey or pollen in them?

Offline Joe

• House Bee
Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 04:24:38 pm »
Thanks for the link, I was recently looking into permacell and I appreciate you letting everyone know about this product as well!

manowar422

Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 07:59:27 pm »
I just ordered some of the supercell.

MB, I'm just curious, but if you have now only med. sized supers
in your operation, where are you putting the deep SuperCell frames???

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 12:51:19 am »
I have one five frame nuc with deeps here and I have one eight frame deep box on a hive in my outyard.  I'll move the five frame deep nuc into an eight frame deep box (I have about three or four around here somwhere).  I also have two 12 frame deep boxes and two double wide deep boxes that are not in use right now.
-------------------

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 03:32:42 pm »
Well, I found places for 13 of the Supercells.  I put two five frame deep nucs in eight frame deep boxes and added three supercells to each of them.  I put one in a five frame Dadant deep (figure they'll draw the other 2") and put six in the double wide Dadant deep hive.
-------------------

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 08:13:25 am »
MB,

If I cut the 4.9 down into thirds for my medium frames as I do with the medium brood foundation, will the bees still draw the comb to the smaller size?
I know you and I are bucking the trends by going to 8 frames, medium depth throughout the operation, and using starter strips of foundation for the frames.  Wanting to go natural methods for mite control I am interested in the 4.9--I didn't even know the stuff existed until this year when I decided to come out of seclusion and join the rest of the beekeeping world.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Fully Drawn Frames
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 01:37:26 pm »
>If I cut the 4.9 down into thirds for my medium frames as I do with the medium brood foundation, will the bees still draw the comb to the smaller size?

You can put nothing in at all and they will build it smaller sized cells.  :)  Of course if you want the combs in the frames they will need some kind of guide.

I think foundation is just good for those who don't trust the bees or can't stray that far from "mainstream" beekeeping concepts.

WHEN I use foundation (seldom) I have been cutting the plain deep foundation in half.

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Foundation49.jpg

>I know you and I are bucking the trends by going to 8 frames, medium depth throughout the operation, and using starter strips of foundation for the frames.

Well, it may be the new trend...

> Wanting to go natural methods for mite control I am interested in the 4.9--I didn't even know the stuff existed until this year when I decided to come out of seclusion and join the rest of the beekeeping world.

I know what you mean.  I had bees and got all the magazines for a decade or two and it seemed like there wasn't anything new and my philosophy was never to treat them for anything anyway.  I let the subscriptions lapse.  The bees took care of themselves.  Then the Varroa mites came and all my bees died and I had to find out why.  Next thing I knew I was online learning about small cell, etc.
-------------------