Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Consumption Question  (Read 5690 times)

Offline rose

• New Bee
Honey Consumption Question
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:03:24 pm »
I have what is going to sound like a really stupid question but here it goes. A woman I work with told me your not suppose to eat the honey right from the hive because you'll get ill off it. What I'm referring to is you've retrieved your supers, extracted the honey, filtered it then bottled it in clean containers. She said you must also pasturise it before you can eat it. Everyone was excited when I brought some in for them to try now after she opened her mouth they all think they're going to get ill from eating it. I know all about the pathogens, and how infants shouldn't eat it. Am I missing something, that is all you do right? Super, to extracter (after you decap them), to filters, to your bottle, then your good to go right, or is there another "saftey" step I'm missing? Thanks.

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Re: Honey Consumption Question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:16:18 pm »
There is no good reason to pasteurize honey.  Light heating may keep it from crystallizing, but there is no reason to bother with that if your honey is not going to sit on a shelf waiting for months to be sold.

Honey is naturally anti-bacterial due to its high sugar content - just like fruit preserves.  A lot of sugar and not enough water makes an environment that very few things can survive in.

Just think about all the people who eat honeycomb.  How many get sick from the unpasteurized honey?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:17:22 pm »
Eat away!!
Pasteurizing is done to keep the honey clear and fromm crystallizing.
You get the most benefit from honey doing it the way you are.
heating it just degrades it to store bought honey.
Read a little here:
http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/healthfacts.php
or google raw honey!

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:29:38 pm »
That lady needs to keep her uneducated trap shut!

Babies under 1 year old should not eat raw honey (as you mentioned), but other than those individuals, raw honey is more beneficial than pasturized honey. If you're going to pasturize it, you might as well just go and eat some imported honey. You may get better flavor but you're killing all the beneficial agents.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:32:54 pm »
Man I would be a very very sick person if this were true. I assume that your friend is thinking about the infant issues with botulinum toxin spores. It should be noted that botulinum spores are also found in dirt and other sources. This is only a problem for infants who's digestive tract is immature and not able to deal with the spores. You can read more about it at http://www.marshallbrain.com/cp/honey.htm

There is no reason I can think of or have ever heard not to eat unprocessed honey

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »
Sounds like a golden opportunity to educate people on why honey from beekeepers is better than that from the grocery store.

If this woman were right, there wouldn't be a market for or a supply of comb honey, which is a premium product. People don't pay a premium to get sick (generally).  :-P
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:38:54 pm »
This is true except for BoTox injections :-P
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:48:25 pm »
If what she told you was true, I would have spent my entire childhood being sick as a dog.

Heck, when Grandpa used to harvest his hives, all of us kids would barely wait until he got the bees off of it before we'd start eating the comb.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:20:46 pm »
She is jealous of you and wants people to look at her. :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:10:45 pm »
>A woman I work with told me your not suppose to eat the honey right from the hive because you'll get ill off it.

Not true.  Honey, as does ALL raw food, can have botulism spores in it.  We eat them all the time whenever we eat anything raw.  They are harmless to normal adults with a normal immune system.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:27:22 pm »
   Hmmm,...Whats a "Filter"?
 I just let it run(not very fast, thats for sure) through cheesecloth!
 I eat it right out of the hive too!
 I also inform people that my honey includes wax and bee parts! They seem to enjoy hearing this! (I think most of them think I'm kidding!)
 I'm not sick from eating my honey.....I may be a little unstable but nothing to go to the Dr about ;)

your friend,
john

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:26:53 am »
I'm glad I read this----- my wife will be happy. I will no longer be with her tomorrow :-D ;)!
John 3:16

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 01:35:20 am »
   Hmmm,...Whats a "Filter"?
 I just let it run(not very fast, thats for sure) through cheesecloth!
 I eat it right out of the hive too!
 I also inform people that my honey includes wax and bee parts! They seem to enjoy hearing this! (I think most of them think I'm kidding!)
 I'm not sick from eating my honey.....I may be a little unstable but nothing to go to the Dr about ;)

your friend,
john

I just promise no whole bee bodies and plenty of wax and what not that makes it sooooo good.  Hitting fifty and still alive and never sick from honey or comb (which I use instead of gum)!!! :-P
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 01:46:58 am »
 :shock:  well goodbye and fairwell guys i'm sure since i love comb honey i'm only seconds away from death.  i wonder though what the people are gonna think when nobody gets sick?  oooh well if it is true i couldn't think of a better way to die lol.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 07:07:46 am »
...I assume that your friend is thinking...
I wouldn't bet on that!!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 09:10:42 am »
Actually, what you do instead of getting sick is to charge DOUBLE for it since it is RAW, considered a health food!  For her, however, you would do the favor of charging TRIPLE!!  ;)

I dont' think that any store honey is actually pasteurized (180F for something like 4 hours?), but it is heated to roughly 120F so that filtration goes quicker.
Rick

Offline K-R-Farms

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 12:42:24 pm »
I have what is going to sound like a really stupid question but here it goes. A woman I work with told me your not suppose to eat the honey right from the hive because you'll get ill off it. What I'm referring to is you've retrieved your supers, extracted the honey, filtered it then bottled it in clean containers. She said you must also pasturise it before you can eat it. Everyone was excited when I brought some in for them to try now after she opened her mouth they all think they're going to get ill from eating it. I know all about the pathogens, and how infants shouldn't eat it. Am I missing something, that is all you do right? Super, to extracter (after you decap them), to filters, to your bottle, then your good to go right, or is there another "saftey" step I'm missing? Thanks.

My five year old daughter carries the soon-to-be-extracted frames over to out extracting station.
My wife reports of a few "finger marks" on the combs as they arrive.

Like the honey dripping down her face doesn't give her away!

Anyway, Rose, your honey is just fine.
Proverbs 3:3
Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart