Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The nest boxes of beauty (chicken stuff, hee, hee)  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The nest boxes of beauty (chicken stuff, hee, hee)
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:07:58 am »
We got 10 more layers because I need more eggs.  Since selling about 30 young layers, my clients are sad  :shock: ;) :)  I need the nest boxes to be higher than where the chickens like to lay.  They like to lay in the enclosed boxes, but I want to encourage the picking up of eggs to be more human friendly.  I imparted this desire to my Husband.  He asked me what I would like to see done, and of course, next thing I know it, he has put his inventive mind to work and lo and behold, some beautiful new nest boxes.  These boxes are attached to the wall.  Good thing too, because now all the chicken nest boxes are consumed by brooding Muscovy ducks.  One is hatching a clutch as we speak, she had two still-moist babies showing last night.  The second is going to hatch in three days.  How could I ask for more?  A Husband that listens to my every need, and acts upon that....I am a lucky woman, I have said this time and time again, I am sure it is almost becoming annoying, smiling.  Have the most wonderful, most awesome, most great day that you can possibly have, and the most great health.  Cindi

The chickens had a hay day with the box (hee, hee, get that pun, smiling).  Go figure, of the four parts to lay, they have chosen one.....yesterday I saw three all crunched up in one of them.

This duck below is Girl.  She is looking at Sissy, who just went broody a day ago.  That is two ducks hatching eggs now, and one that is sitting, in 35 days she will have a little clutch on her own.  Last year girl did not go broody, she kept Sir Drake company while he patiently awaited the other girlfriends to hatch their clutch and then raise the babies for about 6 weeks and then back to accompanying him, hanging around the chickenyard, whislt they readied to sit on a second clutch of eggs.  Oh those Muscovys, boy do they love to procreate, smiling.  If you want extreme amusement and joy in your chickenyard, and if you love to watch the birds, and mingle, I recommend those Muscovy ducks, they are something that will make your heart pound with joy and happiness, quiet, gentle (well most are gentle, wanna hear a story about a nasty Muscovy drake, search in my profile for "Whoppo", there are tales to be told about that NASTY dude!!!).

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: The nest boxes of beauty (chicken stuff, hee, hee)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:14:37 am »
Wonderful things going on in the duck and chicken world. You see, you are still talking about him today, you will never forget him, he was the best duck ever!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: The nest boxes of beauty (chicken stuff, hee, hee)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:48:00 am »
I have a set of 8 nest boxes in my new chicken house.  The chickens have used the bottom 4 so far.  It is indeed funny to go in and see 2-3 hens all scrunched together in one nest box trying to lay eggs at once, sometimes one will be laid so it falls out of the nest boxes even though I have 3 inch lips on the front of the nest boxes. 

For 2 days before I switched them fully over to the new chicken house they were down to 1 little dog house type nest, there was a line at the door 3-4 deep and the hut was chicken atop chicken.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!