Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: my black bee's  (Read 2148 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
my black bee's
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:29:49 am »
Temps this weekend hardly touched 50.  We had some rain and alot of wind.  I have 30 colonies of typical Italians but one is 50+% black bee's even though the queen is orange.  I know it was her drones in her mating flight.  Point is all stayed home except this colony.  They were very busy.  Is this typical?

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Re: my black bee's
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:46:07 am »
Temps this weekend hardly touched 50.  We had some rain and alot of wind.  I have 30 colonies of typical Italians but one is 50+% black bee's even though the queen is orange.  I know it was her drones in her mating flight.  Point is all stayed home except this colony.  They were very busy.  Is this typical?

Yes,some breed of bees fly in alot rain and wind when others don't.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 11:49:47 am »
Danno, by black bees, did you mean Carniolan breed? The Carniolan are known for foraging in cooler weather, earlier exiting of the hive for foraging in the spring.  They are known as the spring build up bees.  The Carniolan colony I have is the only one that made it out of 9 last winter, it is still going strong.  But it had a hard year too over 2008 winter, it never built up enough to split (well, kind of good because I only wanted one colony in case of our move to another area).  Carniolan are "cooler" weather bees.  Have that most wonderful and most awesome day, with great health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »
Danno, I have both NWC and italians, today its cool , lol your so close to me our temps are pretty similar. but my bees are out at 10am this morning, and the carni's well there always out, rain or shine. the dark bodies must hold heat better, don't know, but ya they work in lots worse weather. so I guess its normal. you must have something else in there , carni cross or maybe a feral cross, I know I got a split that I let naturally make a queen, from a hive that swarmed and left many queen cells, I think she mated with feral due to the majority of new bees that are dark or almost black. Ferals would work every opportunity they can.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:43:46 pm »
Carniolans, Russians and the "German" bees brought over by early settlers are all dark.

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:22:05 pm »
My Carniolan's foraged above 47 degrees all last winter.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:26:27 am »
This yard is all 2009 Wootens  golden queens and all but one look about the same.  This queen got tangled with something else.  I'm trying to go the extra mile to get them through winter.  They are alittle light but wont take much feed yet.   

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:40:40 pm »
Danno,

The swarm that I got in late May and split when they first tried to swarm has been out big time the past two days. There are some baggies that have a little syrup left in them that I pulled out when I put in the styrene insulation in the all season inner cover and they are all over them. It has been mid 40s both days. They are still out at 6:30 pm. The pollinator beek whose hives they came from wondered if it might be one of the Australian queens he had purchased. The queen is bronze colored and the workers look Italian. All I know is they are one tough bunch. The other 5 hives are almost for sure Italian queens and they are all staying in. I hope this hives survives the winter and I can get a spit from it next spring.

Jay