Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is there any difference between moth balls and Para-Moth?  (Read 12657 times)

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
Is there any difference between moth balls and Para-Moth?
« on: October 24, 2009, 10:41:02 pm »
I've been using Para-Moth that I bought from W.T. Kelley for wax moths.  I was about out so I had my wife pick up some moth balls thinking that it was essentially the same stuff only cheaper.  Apparently it isn't.  Para-Moth is paradichlorobenzene and moth balls are napthalene.  Any reason why I shouldn't use it?  They both stink about the same!  :-D  Anyone else ever used plain old moth balls for wax moths?

Kelly
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline the kid

• House Bee
Re: Is there any difference between moth balls and Para-Moth?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 11:48:32 pm »
napthalene is a NO,,NO for hive use
there is another mothball that is made with paradichlorobenzene ,, and those can
bee used for wax moth control
look at other brands and you will find it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:57:34 pm »
Napthalene will not air out, it will stick in the wax too much and it will kill bees.  Both PDB and Napthalene are carcinogens...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:47:20 pm »
Look for moth crystals, but I have also seem PDB in the ball form, can't remember the brand name. Make sure you are checking the ingredients.

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 08:51:20 pm »

I get PDB moth crystals at Walmart pretty cheap. I'm not a big fan of using it, but sometimes I use when I get an infestation. I'll pull the infested frames and zap em with it. I know I can freeze them, but I don't have alot of freezer space and I don't like cleaning up all the little worms off my lean cuisine boxs ;)

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:12:28 pm »
"and I don't like cleaning up all the little worms off my lean cuisine boxs "
Maybe if you put them in a garbage bag and then freeze them it would make it better.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:19:47 pm »
Napthalene will not air out, it will stick in the wax too much and it will kill bees.  Both PDB and Napthalene are carcinogens...
I didn't know bees got cancer! :-D
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 10:28:11 pm »

I get PDB moth crystals at Walmart pretty cheap. I'm not a big fan of using it, but sometimes I use when I get an infestation. I'll pull the infested frames and zap em with it. I know I can freeze them, but I don't have alot of freezer space and I don't like cleaning up all the little worms off my lean cuisine boxs ;)
If I have an infestation in the hive that trashes the frame, I bag 'em and freeze the little buggers too.  I use the PDB in my stored frames and foundation. They are bad in SW FL.  If I don't put the stuff in when I store them in a couple of weeks the wretched things are thrashing my combs, etc.

Kelly