Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: anybody seen Prometheus?  (Read 5308 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
anybody seen Prometheus?
« on: June 13, 2012, 05:48:12 pm »
i have a free few days with everyone gone and thought i'd do the rare thing...go to a movie.  this one looks good and has gotten some good reviews, + i like the occasional 3D experience.

anyone been to it yet?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: anybody seen Prometheus?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 07:21:11 pm »
Haven't been but I'd go if I could. The previews do look good!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:50:22 pm »
Two friends in different cities went.   They both hated it and said to skip it.   
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 08:27:23 pm »
if i get there, i'll let you know how it is.  sometimes i have good intentions and get distracted by life.  since hubby is away again part of this week, and he's not much of a movie person, this is the time for me to go.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:01:29 pm »
Have heard nothing but good reviews/feedback. Liz and I will be visiting the theatre soon. One of the write ups I viewed mentioned this is one you want to see in 3D.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 11:48:31 pm »
if i get there, i'll let you know how it is.  sometimes i have good intentions and get distracted by life.  since hubby is away again part of this week, and he's not much of a movie person, this is the time for me to go.

If I was close by I would go with you. Just love 3D!!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 07:55:04 pm »
Just watched this and I'll say I think it might be a great read, but the concept greatly exceeded this big-screen flick that has a 7.7 out of 10 with 60K reviews.

Not giving anything away, but it's kinda a reverse Terra-forma film, where we go looking for those who "planted us" here.

I found only two scenes that I really enjoyed, the rest was a collection of ideas we've seen from Aliens through Terminator. Would I recommend it, no... not at $12 a seat at the theater.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 01:39:09 am »
My wife and I went to see it tonight in 3D. They will certainly win awards for special effects which were absolutely incredible! We both enjoyed it immensely. Somehow I wish this would have been the original one but where would the fun be in that? I just don't know how they can possibly follow this one as there have been those three other Alien movies. Even so it leaves you with the idea that perhaps there just might be another one?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 01:39:24 am »
JP:

I didn't see this in 3D (there are places to see any movie without having to change out of your PJs or download torrents and such) but I can imagine the 3D the effects were eye popping.

SPOILER ALERT (kinda) don't read the bold if you are going to see it.

I set some flaws with the concept of what the ancestors planned to do at the end of the movie and how we traveled half a billion miles to find the last of a race of humanoidial types and find one lone survivor when everyone else has been dead 2000 years.

I bugged me that the ancestors had no PLAN B, not to leave out that I saw no reason for their PLAN A. I just hate loopholes in plots.

The Android character creeped me out, although I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. But I see him too similar to Lance Hendricksen's character in Alien, and the heroin here as a Sigorney Weaver spin-off, although much more frail. It's hard not to root for the little guy/gal.

It's not like there isn't an original idea in the whole film, I thought the flame thrower was a pretty freakin sick option - lol, especial when the threat was outside the ship. I sat thinking of scenes I have seen before that when stitched together could make a similar film from cutting room scraps: a few Chronicles of Riddick out takes, definitely a few from Preditor vs. Aliens (a pretty cool movie - the one inside the pyramid) a short plot line from Transformers, plus that Mars movie with Schwarzenegger and a few others films like the Red Planet.

I don't know from the movie IF the ancestors actually had checked on us (if I missed that part, then I'm not sure why the final scenes, which as you said could setup a sequel) or possible and better yet a prequel that better explained this film, involving the ancestors checking on their work and unknown to the people of this story.

But I agree that most stories in the Sci-Fi genre either have you endless floating around space in a garbage barge or abandoned with no chance to return home and magically a ship appears to rescue the lone survivor as they picked up a random distress call as they were trans-versing the galaxy "in" their garbage barge - lol. Those plots are overly used in films and this movie had a refreshing, albeit a reverse version of the generic terraforming plot of Sci-Fi films.

The thought of life only 500 million miles away (Mars being 30 million on a good day) and in the grand scheme of things we are VERY close to our Sun, but half a billion really doesn't even get you outside our solar system, once you get past Saturn, all the other planets are about a billion miles apart - so if we have mastered warp speeds or stasis then the old theory of "By time you get where you are going, technology at home has evolved enough to beat you to where you are going and have a condo ready for you when you get there". Which in fact seems likely except for budgetary reasons. Which has me wondering, if Obama gets out of office, do we still have to land a craft of an asteroid and ride it around the galaxy like Bruce Willis??? I know an attempt to come in range of an asteroid has been accomplished, but I think Obama want to get Steve Buscemi up there.

I've written a hundred posts here about us being seeded here on Earth and someone returning to check on the zoo at some point to see how we turned out - I think it funny that generally we all figure we'd make our farmers happy on how us veggies turned out.

I think this might be an issue where my love in film is horror and not really sci-fi so much. Even though the story line is right  up my alley.

ON A REAL NOTE - a nuclear powered rover/craft of OURS will be landing on Mars in August. The sampling equipment aboard will be testing for such things as testing to see if oxygen existed at any previous time through some new microscopy. Interestingly, a resent change in the landing sight occurred - given this project has been on the to do list for some time, why the change last minute where it will land?

But I still want to know about Phobos, what is the interest of the European Space Union and Russians in Mar's smallest and most oddly shaped moon which orbits only a few thousand miles above Mars and appears to many people as if it were placed in orbit like a space station which has attracted space dust and other particles over a million or so years and now is 4X20 miles in sizes.

Makes you wonder, if our space station had a sustainable orbit and a million years went by, what might it look like? I'm just predicting that if anything happens on 12-21-12 (the dreaded Mayan Calendar date) it will be someone on our planet (whether on purpose or by leak) show evidence that "non-natural structures" exist either on Mars or Phobos and the paradigm shift from Roswell and area 51 where today 70% of people believe on life elsewhere, we will find out for sure that at least at one time other life forms, not just microbes existed and very close to home. Not that microbial life alone wouldn't satisfy, stun and rock our world some, but to find something substantial that was built by skilled creatures with tools and even more impressive, built similar to how we would build such a structure.

I know most of this post belongs in the Darkside forum, but it is more science now than fiction.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 10:45:24 am »
Now for the big question,   when will this movie be out on Netflix?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:00 am »
yeah.  talked to my son.  he'd been to it and liked it, but would have been just as happy to have seen it at home.  didn't have time to go anyway and will be gone all day today.