Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Late Swarm- now what?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
Late Swarm- now what?
« on: August 10, 2009, 07:55:25 pm »
I got home tonight and found a swarm of bees in an apple tree that every year will get a swarm. ( I'm going to build a platform in that tree next spring and leave a hive body in it to save myself some work next year.) So it's late in the year for a swarm- this swarm was huge- I put them in 2 supers with drawn out frames and they are settling down now. Tomorrow I'm thinking of putting a full med. honey super on top of them. Is this a good idea? Do you all think I should still feed them? If need be I could put another full super of honey on it, with 60# plus of honey  and another good 2 months to go will they make it? I love to capture swarms ( I'm sure they were mine to begin with) and want these bees to survive. I'm probably batting .500 with late season swarms and would like to improve on that. Any other suggestions or problems with my plan? I'm counting on you all!! Thanks,
Jeff

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Late Swarm- now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 07:59:35 pm »
i'm wondering if putting more supers on will end up giving them to much room over the winter.  instead, i would feed and feed and see how much they can store before winter.  if you want to give them frames of honey, replace some of the empty frames they are on with frames of honey, rather  than adding boxes.  
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything