Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A Few Bees Using Pollen Baskets to Collect Wax  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
A Few Bees Using Pollen Baskets to Collect Wax
« on: July 29, 2011, 02:42:20 pm »
Was in apiary on a warm sunny day & observed 3 bees biting off wax on some newly cut out top bars. They were placing it where the pollen usually goes on their legs. I've heard of ladies waxing their legs but didn't know bees do this as well. Hopefully next time will have camera.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: A Few Bees Using Pollen Baskets to Collect Wax
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:00:13 pm »
People will tell you that bees will not rob wax, but they will.  I have seen them fly off with pieces when I put cappings out for them to clean up.   And everyone has seen foundation with holes chewed in it.   

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:45:32 pm »
People will tell you that bees will not rob wax, but they will.  I have seen them fly off with pieces when I put cappings out for them to clean up.   And everyone has seen foundation with holes chewed in it.   

Very true.  I set out a frame of honey in my yard to watch it being robbed.  I was curious what it was like.  i was surprised to see them tear into the wax as well as the honey,  they left a nice little pile of chewed wax on the ground when they were done.

lee

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:40:31 am »
Usually they are looking for propolis which is a mixture of wax and tree sap in varying proportions.  I've seen the gather propolis off of old boxes, but not in any huge amounts.  I've left them cappings both in and out of the hive and they have taken no interest in them.  But where comb is attached at the top contains a lot of propolis...

I had a camera...

http://bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#propolis

They also gathered the  beeswax/rosin I was dipping hives in, off my gloves:

http://bushfarms.com/images/RosinWaxAsPropolis.jpg
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything