Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: We're new at this...  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Sharamona

• Brood
We're new at this...
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:00:25 pm »
I'm looking for some info about the activity we're seeing on our new hives.  We got two Italian nucs about 6 weeks ago, they're well established in a deep and a western, and we just put another western on, as they were filling the frames well.

The Pacific NW has been cool so far this year, we're mostly in the mid-sixties, with only a couple sunny sunny days.  Except for the most rainy days, every afternoon the bees seem to all come out of the hive, and just buzz around the entrance.  They gather on the front as well, and we can see some drones coming out, but mostly workers.  As the population has grown over the weeks, so has the wild party.  They stay in this little frenzy for a half hour or so, then it dissipates and the activity goes back to normal.

We've watched for fighting and robbing, but it seems they are all getting along.  Both hives do it, although not at the same time usually.  And we don't see them fanning and staying right at the entrance.

It almost seems like what we've heard about swarming behavior, but the hives are so young and small, that from what we've read, it seems the wrong time.

What are they doing?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: We're new at this...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:09:37 pm »
What you are seeing sounds like orientation flights to me. They usually come out every afternoon around the same time and it does last about 1/2 hour then slows down.

The new foragers are flying in front of the hive, facing it, and doing sort of circles.They are learning to memorize the exact position of the hive to the surroundings so they can find the hive when they return. It is a very good sign and brings me lots of joy to see this.

No worries, it all sounds good to me.

Annette

Offline Sharamona

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:44:52 pm »
Thank you, Annette! 
There's so much to learn, but it's all fascinating!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:46:14 pm »
Keep asking and you will learn and learn. I am still learning and learning.

Annette

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:06:48 pm »
Me too...Im still learning on whether to call it an umbrella or a parasol

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:50:03 pm »
Me too...Im still learning on whether to call it an umbrella or a parasol

You don't give up, do you?? :-D

Offline Cadman

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:35:07 am »
Here in the Seattle area, we call it a Bumbershoot. We even have a festival named for it. :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:14:32 pm »
Sorry for hijacking the topic, but I must respond to the bumbershoot. Brian Bray a member here mentioned that a few weeks ago. A very funny name indeed.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:29:15 pm »
Sorry for hijacking the topic, but I must respond to the bumbershoot. Brian Bray a member here mentioned that a few weeks ago. A very funny name indeed.
Here in the Seattle area, we call it a Bumbershoot. We even have a festival named for it. :-D

I'm from the Seattle area also, but the term Bumpershot is actually of British origin, must be our proximity to British Columbia, only a short ferry ride away from my house.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!