Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Angry Bees in the Fall  (Read 2471 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Angry Bees in the Fall
« on: May 27, 2016, 08:40:20 pm »
I have seen people post that bees are angrier in the fall. Is this true and how much so and why are they angrier? When would be the best time to harvest honey also in the fall?

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
Re: Angry Bees in the Fall
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:07:43 pm »
As flows slow down and stop bees will get crankier. When they're busy hauling nectar they're in a lot better mood.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:38:06 pm »
My bees' clocks are running backwards. During the flow I couldn't hardly get near my yard without getting stung. Now I'm weed eating and mowing grass by them and they won't even look up. Yesterday I was pulling honey and not the first sign of robbing. Last year it was totally opposite.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 02:57:51 pm »
My are a touch more aggressive now. I can only get within 5 feet of them without a buzz. I used to be able to get under the mulberry tree which is about 2 feet from them without a reaction. Still I really have no business being that close unless I am messing with them.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 02:58:18 pm »
GSF when you say near how near are you talking about?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:18:19 am »
With in sight. 30-50 yards. Now, it's a totally different bee yard.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 12:05:13 pm »
Wow I have never seen a yard that aggressive. A feral hive I know of is on a golf course and in 3 years has stung no one.

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 08:10:24 pm »
With in sight. 30-50 yards. Now, it's a totally different bee yard.
Just as an aside here GSF, do you think it's the strain of bees? Sounds like a nightmare! Why not requeen with a calmer bee? Is your outyard enough out of the way that random people aren't getting stung all the time?

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 08:37:25 pm »
Saw this last year and thought I'd share. Pretty neat.
https://youtu.be/hfOwArQHltk

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 09:59:26 pm »
Phil, It may have been the drone she mated with. Right now at the same hive I can weed eat in front of it with no worries. Like I implied earlier if the guard bees saw you - they stung you. go figure.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:15:00 pm »
If my bees were as aggressive as the ones in teh video I would get rid of them. Those have to AFB's

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 12:59:54 pm »
There is no way I would tolerate a hive that hot. Part of the problem is the way he opens and closes up the hive. A lot of bees are being injured by that cover. Then the bees are getting into the folds of his suit and sting it. His gloves are full of stings, every time he placed his hands in the hive the bees emptied the hive, attacking him. Not a good situation.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SmokeEater2

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 10:01:10 am »
I agree with sawdstmakr, There is no reason to tolerate a hive being that aggressive. I'd pinch that Queen in a skinny minute and re-queen with gentler stock.

Watching that video really makes me appreciate the sweet nature of my hives.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 10:12:08 am »
Yeah I am lucky with my bees. When the weather was nicer I would sit behind them 10 feet read and watch them take off and land. Those were peaceful times.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 12:08:39 pm »
During My first couple of years I sat between my hives for hours on end with no protection. Right now I can pet any bee that is in front of any hive in both of my apiaries. I like it that way. Most of the feral hives I have dealt with here in N FL are very gentle.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 12:10:38 pm »
Yes the one of the feral hives around here is on a golf course and people drive all around it and probably through bees and I have heard of no one getting stung. I only ask them to let me know when they swarm because I want a new hardy feral hive. They are only 5 or so miles from my  hive as is.

anything