Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So called beekeeper?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
So called beekeeper?
« on: August 18, 2009, 10:39:36 pm »
Got a call for a cut out in a tree yesterday. A contractor was clearing a lot and found a hive in a tree. He had heard about CCD and didn't want to kill them and was looking for some one who could get them out of the tree so they could finish clearing the lot. They said they had called a beekeeper and he came and looked at it but said he didn't have the equipment to get them out. Well seems like he had the equipment to get them out he just didn't want them after he got them out. What a mess. Their were so many SHB's on the comb that was laying out that I just discarded it and set a hive body up with some drawn comb in it. I'll leave it there for a day and see what takes up in it. This just really ticked me off when I saw it and thought I'd share it yall. A contractor trying to do the right thing and the bees get screwed by a "so called beekeeper". Here's what I saw when I pulled up.

Wes Sapp

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: So called beekeeper?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:44:42 pm »
This is a family board. I can't reply like I would like to.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:55:30 pm »
What did the other beekeeper do other than rape the hive?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:39:40 am »
It is quite possible that the " Other Beekeeper " decided against it after assessing the hive and believed   it was not viable ( weak with SHB), not worth his time and let nature takes its course. Whenever you are bringing back cutouts or swarms, it is a good idea to have them quarantined so as to not infect your apiary from unknowns, some beekeepers have yards specifically for this reason, some don't and accept the risks, once you decide they're fine, then the hive may join the others. I would try to contact the " Other Beekeeper" and see what's up before you pass " Judgement ".  :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:56:27 am »
Sorry, I have passed judgment. If any of the above applied, he could have at least contacted some other beeks to find someone who would take them. To leave them as he did is inexcusable.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 10:35:08 am »
Wow!  :shock:

That beekeeper must have really good tools. I don't see any clean cut wood, or signs of anything beyond a split section of tree that probably opened up when the tree fell.

I'm guessing the beekeeper went with good intentions. Maybe a new beekeeper who is not well connected or failed to persuade any other beekeeper to tag along and help. Anyways, he shows up, see a fallen tree busted open, with damaged and pancaked comb from when tree fell, and then notices an infestation of SHB also. Maybe the task was too great. Maybe he was not well versed on stringing up comb. Maybe he did not want to drag SHB back to his beeyard....which just may be closer to the next beekeeper (you!) than you think.

Speaking of stringing up the comb, why was it not done by the second beekeeper. He was willing to do not much more than "see" if any bees would end up in his box of placed comb. I don't think the beekeeper did much more than pull out a few smashed and pancaked combs to evaluate the situation, then quickly decided it was not worth the effort. Why does that change for the second beekeeper? He is throwing out the colony just on a smaller scale. Why is he not doing every possible thing to save each and every bee?

I guess it easy to assume the SHB came after the colony was opened. But I've seen many feral colonies that were already infested without being damaged. Maybe he did not want the weak genetics. And as for calling the next beekeeper, why? To pass on problems to the next beginner?

I'm surprised at this point that a youtube video has not been produced entitled "Another ignorant beekeeper!" for all the world to view. Lets trash one of our own for reason we do not know about. Lets put it on a public forum and crap all over ourselves. (Hey, that would make a good smilie!)  

I'll give him some benefit and slack. Maybe he does not want to drag all those SHB home. If he was the closest beekeeper to me, I would be grateful. Maybe it was new beekeeper who could not convince the next beekeeper to get off his butt from in front of television. Maybe the hours that he would be taking from his family in time and lost wages , the cost to care, tend and feed, these bees back to a healthy colony, would be too much.

You can trash me too. I may of done the exact same thing if I stumbled upon this scenario. And I bet many others would too. (Only if you could do it without anyone finding out) But that is honesty.....And not throwing stones at a fellow beekeeper who we know nothing about.

The logger had a problem. Was he willing to pay for the service? Or did he just expect a beekeeper to come out and clean up a problem with little benefit, or value to be gained? Perhaps beekeepers place way too much value on expecting every beekeeper to save every colony, no matter the time, effort, or consequences (By dragging home problems).

Just the way I see it.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 10:57:51 am »
Sorry, I have passed judgment. If any of the above applied, he could have at least contacted some other beeks to find someone who would take them. To leave them as he did is inexcusable.

Good Point  :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 11:27:05 am »
A lot of maybe's there, BJ. Let's add another or two. Maybe he was abducted by aliens before he could finish. Maybe he was bitten by a rattlesnake and had to leave. Maybe his mother called him to supper.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It could have been many things. Yes, if the second beek doesn't go back and finish the job, I would place him in the same boat, but so far he's just trying the easiest way first. He stated he was going back.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 10:49:25 pm »
Went back this afternoon and about half the bees were in the box and the other half were either hanging on the only piece of comb left in the tree which was about the size of a deck of cards or crawling around inside the empty cavity. Went and borrowed a generator and went back with my bee vac and vacuumed about 3 lbs of bees up. Blocked the entrance off and brought everybody back to my house and combined them and put a couple of beetle traps in. Plan to wait a day or two then look for signs of a queen which I don't think I'll find. Because after talking to the contractor some more today he said the first guy (won't call him a beekeeper) said he found the queen but couldn't use her and put her back. My guess would be he tore the hive apart found the queen and that was all he wanted. The reason I didn't try to string any of the comb was it had been stacked on top of each other making most of it a unusable mess. And the comb had been laying out for over 24 hours and I'm sure the SHB had their way with it. Down here in the south you or your neighbor doesn't drag home SHB their already there! BTW BJ, where were you on Monday?
Wes Sapp

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 12:09:24 am »
BTW BJ, where were you on Monday?

:? Mostly at the home yard and at two nearby nuc yards all day long. Nothing stands out other than getting hives ready for winter. Something I missed?

I did pop over to an auction in the evening and was gone from 4 till 9 pm. Did you see me at the sale?

Or......is this......something of a question of why I didn't help out that beekeeper... ;) Perhaps a missed phone call.... :idunno:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:11:26 am »
Oh, wait...it took a minute. Your asking if it was ME there prior to you.... :lau:

Got me good.... :buttkick:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org