Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: marked queens  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
marked queens
« on: November 14, 2012, 03:25:13 am »
Hi Guys - have a quick questions for you all....

I have 7 hives at present which are made up of 4 caught swarms and 3 bought....

For the life of me I haven't been able to see a queen in any of them  :-x

I take my time when the weather is good and they all seem too good at hide and seek!

When you buy a new queen is she marked?

Have any of you marked your own queens?
And if so how did you go about it?

Have a mate who may be better at spotting them so thinking of marking them...

Cheers!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: marked queens
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:49:48 am »
Finding the queen in a large full sized hive can be difficult.  I only spot her about 50% of the time in my deep or medium hives.  That is one thing I like about my jumbo hives that only have 11 brood frames.  I almost always see her because there are only 11 frames she’s going to be on.  The other ones are honey, so really only 9 frames.

Normally it’s not critical to find the queen unless you are stealing brood frames from one hive to boost another hive.  Then it’s very critical.  Assuming I’m not doing that, then all I check for anymore in my full sized hives is eggs.  If I see eggs, she’s been there within 3 days and if very likely in the hive someplace.

I almost always find the queen in my nucs, since there are less bees and less frames.  Working with nucs is a great way to train your eyes to spot queens.

In general, don't worry about the queen if you can spot eggs  :)   

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 10:44:10 am »

Have any of you marked your own queens?
And if so how did you go about it?

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/queen-marking/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:13:43 am »
BTW Rob, that really is a great little video :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 12:01:11 pm »
BTW Rob, that really is a great little video :)

Scott

Thanks Scott,  my minor video contribution pales in comparision to the pros like you and JP.   :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison