Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To exclude or not  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Bee Rancher

• New Bee
To exclude or not
« on: September 11, 2004, 01:07:15 pm »
How many of ya'll in TX use em?  Or not?
"Remember the Brotherhood"
9-11-01

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
To exclude or not
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 01:14:20 pm »
I think if you do a search here you'll find that there has been a lot of disscussion on this subject. Way too much for me to recap.

I did a search in this site on "excluder" and got this

http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/search.php?mode=results

I think that most people here don't use them.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
To exclude or not
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 01:42:22 pm »
Excluders have some uses, like cooling freshly baked bread, grilling fish on a camp out, retarding production, and restricting the brood nest.  I'm sure there are good things that can be done with them too.  Just don't get in the habit of slapping one on each time you super.  Many of the people here can give testimony to the difficulties of getting the bees to move above an excluder to work.  This time of year, excluders are a particularly bad idea.  If left on, when the bees cluster, and move up, the queen may be left behind.  not good

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
To exclude or not
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 03:24:54 pm »
I only use an excluder when making comb honey, ortherwise they are more hassle then they're worth.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Anonymous

To exclude or not
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 04:40:30 pm »
Rog, I have done the search but wanted to if it was a habit in TX.  Thats why I posted that way.  thanx for the great info guys this is an awesome sight and very helpful to new guys like me :lol:

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
To exclude or not
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 05:07:47 pm »
I took mine off and as soon as I did they started using the super, so my 2 cents. They aint worth all the trouble.
Bee Boy

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
To exclude or not
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 07:00:04 pm »
Well from this Southern LAkehurst, NJ Boy (lol) I think a quality stainless excluder might make a fine Barbeque Grill - if it meets the FDA approval. But I have two, mint scondition and gladly would have given Bigrog one if I thought it were worth it's weight in Genuine Imatation Plastic.

But they are not, and except in some very rare cases, such as multi-hive stacking, multi-queened hives, etc., they are useless. But if you are just using one to keep a queen in her place, all you really ever do is keep your workers from getting any work done.

BTW, thanks for the kind words about the forum and it's helpfulness. I agree, you can find bigger forum out there, but you will not find a more helpful and friendly bunch on the net concerning general beekeeping issues than here! Other places tell you go go search their engines, or that they've answered that before and ain't gonna do it again - ugh. If people wanted THOSE kind of answers they'd do generic searches themselves and not be put through group humiliation tactics that some of these forums seem to get OFF on.

Last comment about such things. I take little to no credit about this forum or its membership. These fine people found it and made it the success it is, I did nothing but give them a little space to share their thoughts and ideas - they all did the rest. So if you decide to become a member here, you are joining a great group of dedicated people who appriciate answers and offer help to anyone who stops by - to some folks, that is a burden, but to the people in this forum, it's as natural as breathing!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
To exclude or not
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 07:16:24 pm »
Robo mentioned using an excluder when making comb honey.  I have used them when making section honey.  But if the timing is right and you make a cutdown split for section honey, you can sometimes avoid them even for this.  They truly slow things down.  I can think of one very good use for them.  When hiving a swarm, when your sure you have the queen in the box, you can put them between the bottom board and hive body.  In this way, you keep the swarm from taking flight because the queen can't go with them.  I guess in this case, it would be a queen includer though.. heheheheheh

Offline Bee Rancher

• New Bee
To exclude or not
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 02:01:51 am »
Awesome replies thanx again.  I have been checking this off and on all day while I am at the Fire Sta.  What a great group of guys.. I use that in a group meaning since the nice ladies diaries and things have been so helpful also.

Hank
"Remember the Brotherhood"
9-11-01

Anonymous

To exclude or not
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 03:03:23 pm »
I installed a excruder. No work got done at all in the super till I removed it.
As for this site and the people on it you can't beat it. I was on one of those other sites for a short time. I got tired of seeing people ask a question then being told to do a search and to buy a couple of books so they didn't ask those stupid questions again. And that was from a moderator, who didn't even know how to post a picture to his site.
So the people who complain about the average age of bee keepers being 60 can thank them selves, if that is how they treat people who ask questions.
 :D Al