Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Well they are all dead...  (Read 1851 times)

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
Well they are all dead...
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:27:13 pm »
a darn raccoon toppled the ENTIRE hive over, ate ALL of the honey and destroyed the hive(and it rained/45 Deg F) and the rain killed ALL of the bees.  :'(!

Edited language,was not  appropriate,even with filter.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:02:41 pm by buzzbee »

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Well they are all dead...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:31:22 pm »
Sorry for your loss!  Sometimes things just happen with the weather or other animals in your beeyard. 

Don't give up though!!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:51:42 pm »
I don't believe that kind of language is allowed here, even with the ***.........
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:28:23 pm »
I can understand you are mad. Go easy. Sounds more like a bear. Do you have them there? Not likely the coon toppled the hive and less likely it was a coon that ate the honey. Perhaps it is time for a electric fence.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:38:34 pm »
I've hunted and trapped many a raccoon and I've never seen one that could topple a hive.  At max a wild raccoon will weight 30 pounds.  That's a HUGE raccoon.  Even then too small to get into a hive and effectively tip it over.  Now if the hive had already been tipped over and the bees had already died do to the rain and cold weather a raccoon would scavenge it with great vigor.  They can only eat so much too.  Sounds like you may have been visited by something else.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 06:19:42 pm »
Sorry to hear it, regardless what did it, I know how I feel about my hives and I'd be in a rage for a while too.  :thunder:
- Maybe someone will post some advice to keep it from happening again? (My biggest fear is the neighbor's pig coming after them, he was too small to get in the fence early last fall - hoping he doesn't realize he's gained a few hundred pounds and gotten much stronger.)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:26:34 pm »
D Coates
Raccoons are little bears,  like a dachshund it's a little wolf :shock: :evil:  There are killers. I've hunted them twice -  raccoons that is, not dachshunds - now that I think, they do have solid hind legs -   dachshunds that is, not raccoons,  me - 1, Raccoons -1.

anything