Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Listen in  (Read 12756 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Listen in
« on: July 25, 2006, 11:18:08 pm »
Is it possible to listen in? I don't have a mic at this time and also only have a 56k dial up on a antiquated phone service company. A little garble I can put up with but wouldn't want  to annoy others with this system. We are supposed to be upgraded to DSL but my phone co. says law requires it by 2008?Sadly trhey are behind the curve and in no hurry to upgrade even though we pay a premium on old service.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Listen in
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:40:41 am »
Buzzbee:

Absolutely, listen away!!!! There is a chat (TEXT CHAT) feature, so you can reply, ask questions, whatever you'd like - or as you said just listen.

I counted 4 people last night in there, just NONE at the same time - lol. At least people are giving it a try and HOPEFULLY we can get a bunch of members chatting away in our own little chunk of cyber space.

PS... I'll be in the around 9:30am EST to 2:30pm EST Wednesday and again after 11:15pm that same night and MORE OR LESS the same hours all week because of work hours.

Good question!!! It will be nice to have you there and hope you can pick up a mic someday, I see them at the dollar store near me all the time - as a matter of fact, the best headphones (minus my Bose Quiet comfort) were bought at a dollar store. I have 6 pair I picked up at once because they are so nice and I am pretty rough on them at work. Peace.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Listen in
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:39:20 pm »
I had the great pleasure this morning to be able to talk to John via Ventrilo.

Even though I do not have any high falutin gear this way it was almost as though John was in the room with me and we were able to talk about things other than bees as we have similar work backgrounds. The bee-talk will come another time.

So to any other beeks try it and enjoy meeting other people with similar interests on a more personal platform,  and if your shy of voice the text chat works very well also. Quite quick in fact.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Listen in
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 05:31:20 am »
I have another problem.  Ventrilo doesn't support Linux yet.  A Linux version is on its way according to their site, but I'm not sure how long it will take before I can give it a try :)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Listen in
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 11:40:37 am »
E:

Does the Beta Version allow Linux (as well as Mac) to join in??? I'll switch to the beta later this week if it allows for more users to get in. It will cause the Windows users to download the beta (not a big difference as far as installing goes) and if it allows larger member participation it will be worth the change.

I don't want to wait too long - the longer wait, the more people need to download the beta, so this week should be a good time. We've had as many as 6 people at one time on (not bad at all) and as many as 13 different people have logged in since inception.

Maybe these are NOT record breaking numbers to many people, but we all know that membership numbers NEVER reflect actual active membership in any forum - it's just one of those CLUB THINGS where 95% of everything is done by 5% of the members, and that is just a human nature thing we see in every phase of life.

Let me know about the beta and if it cures your log-in issues, I hate to keep anyone out when there is a cure. It is good that Ventrilo works okay for dial-up connections. It is a little choppy at times, but it still works better than you might think, the only issue is some lag - but having TEXT and VOICE is a great combination ESPECIALLY in the same program.

We've been playing Tiger Woods Golf (04 & 06) and being able to talk to each other while playing is great. We need to now all get on the same version of golf too - having more than one choice in anything is a double edged sword.

GOLFPHYCHO (if you are reading) the 2006 version may be a lot easier to find (it is packaged alone - not in a multi-game pack) and is under $20 at Circuit City - I picked it up Friday there.

I'm hoping we make 2006 the standard (only because I know it will be supported longer) and it has some graphic improvements, and sped-up play in multiplayer (it allows you to continue play while the others are shooting - although I'm not too sure if I really like this feature, it makes it less personal when you DON'T wait your turn) but it allows 4 people to get thru as fast as 1.5-2 players, allowing you to play 2 rounds in the time of just one. Oh the decisions we have to deal with - lol.

Talk later :) and get your knickers or Kilt on and meet you at St. Andrews  :wink:

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Listen in
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 02:12:48 pm »
The new beta version will probably help for the Mac version, but not for Linux which I run.  Their message is that the Linux version is in development, but it has been since 2004, so I guess I should not have too high expectations :)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
Listen in
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 03:10:38 pm »
John,
If we install the beta do we need to uninstall the first version before loading the beta. Will the beta version for client work with the server version you have now?  Thanks, Ken

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Listen in
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 10:36:18 pm »
The beta client works with the server version being run just fine.

The server does not have to be upgraded to the beta version, just a couple of lines of file need to be changed.

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
Listen in
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 08:19:08 pm »
I'm a linux user also. Has anyone tried the VENTRILO CLIENT SOFTWARE in wine? and if so does it work (at all)?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
Listen in
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 10:55:15 pm »
I've used it in beer without much luck! Sorry couldn't help it!! :D
Is wine a linux program? Forgive the uninformed.   I used to use a Mac but have migrated to a windows machine.

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
Listen in
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 08:08:14 am »
likes2grill@2[~]$ whatis wine
wine (1)             - run Windows programs on Unix

I guess I'm gonna give it a try today. Its got to be better than installing and using windows again.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Listen in
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 05:54:56 pm »
Think I got it working in wine after some fixing and tricksing today, but there were no one there to talk to, so I'm not sure everything is working :-)

As mentioned already in this thread, wine is the thing to use.  Wine is quite unstable, and I didn't get ventrilo running on my old suse installation with wine 2004something, but it went smoothly using ubuntu dapper.

This guide is a great start (if you are not using ubuntu, the part about installing wine will be different).
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41737

I got some problems with ALSA and an error message saying that /dev/snd/seq was not present.  If you get this, just do a
sudo modprobe snd-seq

Hopefully I will meet someone to test it with later :-)

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
Listen in
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 08:27:45 am »
okay all you linux users out there the chat program works some what in wine. you can hear but you still have to type to chat but its not that bad. come join us in chat and give it a try.

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
Re: Listen in
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 07:47:53 pm »
Okay linux users of the forum you can get the "VENTRILO CLIENT SOFTWARE" working by going here ~> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41737 once this is done install "alsamixergui" and turn on your mic. Hope to talk to ya'll soon.  :mrgreen:

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 06:12:35 pm »
Wow,lookin back at this post it's just hard to fathom how many people I've talked to here over the period of the last couple years. :lol:
 I hope to get to talk to a lot more!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 06:26:29 pm »
I was replying to a post Jerry mac posted about 4 years ago the other day Ken, I know what you mean. It is amazing how sometimes post just come back from the dead and even start a multiplage responce.

I'll catch you on the weekend, doing 3-11s now, but I'll be around Sat. until 2pm and all day starting Sunday. Tell Jen and Josh howdy.

Same with the Ventrilo Gang, I'd love to get more members off their butts and give Ventrilo a try - I just don't know how to do it any better than we have already.

Trivia Question for Josh if you'd pass it on: Name the ONLY FOUR PAST US Presidents to NOT be buried in the Contiguous states? I think he'll like this one :)

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 07:30:35 pm »
   Which are the Contiguous states John. Perhaps an Australian can answer the question. Hopefully me before Mick does. LOL.

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 07:36:53 pm »
Ford, George H.W Bush, Carter, and Clinton?
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 07:55:00 pm »
Well done Josh.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 09:04:49 pm »
Very Good Job Josh.

Geoff, it simply means those connected, so Hawaii and Alaska are not counted.