Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Bee Removal In Slidell, Louisiana  (Read 4454 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Honey Bee Removal In Slidell, Louisiana
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »
Lots of honey, bees got pissy later on in the removal, loved thumpin' the hands. There was more comb sections than one could imagine simply by viewing this thing from the attic space.

Took all day.

...JP

Honey Bee Removal In Slidell, Louisiana
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Honey Bee Removal In Slidell, Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:00:05 pm »
Man that looks like some good honey! Looks like that queen didn't take to that bee quick much either :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:08:20 pm »
Great video, thanks for posting.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:48:42 pm »
That looked very hard to me. So much honey dripping down on you.

I am curious how do you bee proof the rest of the house??  The reason I am asking is, I am always worried my bees will swarm out and end up in the attic of the yoga center and I will have a terrible problem getting them out.

I am thinking of hiring someone to go around and seal up any holes or cracks I see in the siding or anywhere, but what do you do??

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:32:41 pm »
WHERE'S THE UMBRELLA??

I'll let it slide...you sound a bit peaked at the end...I can only imagine - looks like it was a long hot day!  :)

I like seeing the queen at the end and their little circle even though they're all messed up right now.

Thanks for another entertaining video!
Rick

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 02:54:52 pm »
Nice job JP and thanks for the video.

That was a shameless plug for the BBQ place  :-D After getting stuffed like that i would have just taken a big ol nap under that shade tree.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 04:31:25 pm »
Another job well done :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 08:37:38 pm »
Ya, I'd be pissy to if you stole 120 pounds from me.   That was a mack of a hive.   JP, did you bend the end of your knife to get the combs better?

Offline cklspencer

• House Bee
    • 3 bee honey
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »
Those were some great looking bees. Lots of different shades,looks like she was well mated.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 02:25:40 am »
Well, you know I can't showcase the red umbrella in every video now!  :-D

Bad to the bone bbq, where bad never tasted so good! Is what the sign on the wall inside reads.  :-D

Annette, on this one we used a mesh material as a backing and caulked over it with clear, paintable latex caulking. I work the caulking in with my fingers so the gaps are well sealed. If the caulk fails the bees still can't get past the mesh.

Yeah, my voice in the sign off definitely tells of a dude that's worn out!

And yes, the honey was outstanding!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 02:16:22 pm »
Another two thumbs up!  

Now you have me wonderin. I wonder what a little BeauSoleil (hey I am from the north and they are the only zydego band that will travel up here) background music would do? Would they come out in pairs, two steppin?  I have never seen a band that get folks, even northerners, a two steppin like they do. :-D

Jay

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 04:32:48 pm »
Great video JP.  Now I was wondering do you use a old uncapping knife to cut the comb or is it just a knife you were able to grab out of the kitchen before Mrs. JP saw you and ran you off. :evil:
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline Storm

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 04:51:44 pm »
Lovely shot of the queen there at the end, JP.  The contrast in the shot made for easy viewing.  I'm going to bookmark that as a reference shot!

Offline gwalker314

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 08:35:38 pm »
Another nice video. When you capture the queen with a clip, Do you put it front of her and let her walk in? If you get a chance sometime to film it, I'd like to see how you catch her.

Thanks again for the videos,

GW

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 08:44:10 pm »
WOW, JP, ya mean they allowed ya on th' north side o' th' lake???   :evil:   :-*
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 11:25:06 pm »

Annette, on this one we used a mesh material as a backing and caulked over it with clear, paintable latex caulking. I work the caulking in with my fingers so the gaps are well sealed. If the caulk fails the bees still can't get past the mesh.

...JP

Thanks JP. I have a guy who does some work for me and he and I are going to try and bee proof the house at the yoga center. It is a very old house with lots of places a swarm could end up. Do you have a name for this "mesh material"?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 01:16:15 am »
GW, its important to allow the queen to walk to the rear of the catcher before closing it for fear of closing it on her. Works for me.

Iddee, they allowed me across the lake but made me pay $9.00 to come back across the causeway bridge! Cause of the height of my ladder rack!

Annette, you can use steel wool. What I use I don't know if you could even get, its called "stuff it" its a copper mesh material.

Vermmy, the knife I have been using I purchased at a marine dealer but my all time favorite is a Ginsu. I left mine at a cut out about two years ago or so.

Jay, I love Zydeco music!

...JP