Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: see pic. looks like moths are in my hive.  (Read 6915 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
see pic. looks like moths are in my hive.
« on: August 19, 2012, 01:46:52 pm »
what to do? this honey super is empty. should i remove it? place it in storage? i am not is a possession to freeze them!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: see pic. looks like moths are in my hive.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:21:58 pm »
I do not see any evidence of wax moths, if what you are talking about is the ragged edges of the comb, that is from robbing. They are in such a hurry to get at the honey they will just tear up the comb to get at it.

If you are through with these combs for the season spray them with BT, let them dry and place in storage.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:40:51 pm »
Looks the same to me.  Put it back in the hive.  Wax moths leave webbing where ever they go. 

Offline gdog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 04:37:20 pm »
What is BT?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »
http://strawberry.ifas.ufl.edu/chemicalinfo/xentari.pdf

Here is a link to the labeling. It will kill the wax moth larva.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:26:53 pm »
Looks like some I put out for cleaning and the yellow jackets clean instead of bees

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 10:45:28 pm »
I do not see any evidence of wax moths, if what you are talking about is the ragged edges of the comb, that is from robbing. They are in such a hurry to get at the honey they will just tear up the comb to get at it.

If you are through with these combs for the season spray them with BT, let them dry and place in storage.

Ditto

What is BT?

Bacillus thuringiensis (or Bt)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=bt

B401 previously known as Certan is the only known preventive against Wax Moth. A form of BT or Bacillus Thuringiensis formulated to kill the...

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 10:05:24 pm »

Tell me the concentration of BT to water and how to do this process. Just spray till wet? Let dry and place into garbage bags?

Thanks
Annette

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 04:40:08 am »
I like to use 3 teaspoons per gallon of water (2 being the min. and 4 being the max.). Mix in an old milk jug and pour into a quart spray bottle if you are doing small numbers or in a garden sprayer if doing large numbers. A quart will do about 30 deep frames. A 1/4 pound will last the hobby person many years.

Whatever you mix up must be used in 3 days, spray it on your drawn combs and anything left over can be sprayed on your veggie garden, fruit trees or flowers. The mix will go putrid after 3 days and the spores will not be viable anymore. The powder itself has a shelf life of many many years. Harmless to bees and humans and is organic also.

All you need is a good misting on the combs, trying to get it into the bottoms of the cells and any nucks & crannies where a wax worm can get a foot hold. Let them dry before you put them in storage or they will tend to mold from the dampness. Never did like garbage bags myself but they will work. I like to use a telescoping outer cover turned upside down on the floor, a sheet of newspaper and then stack the supers up with a sheet of newspaper between each super and then top off with another cover or piece of plywood. I have found that the newspaper will act as a barrier to keep a wax worm or moth from moving from one super to the next if they do live, or act like a gasket to some extent to help seal any imperfections in the box edges.

After treatment and the solution drys in the combs, the spores will be viable for many years. I had four drawn comb supers stored in my mothers basement garage that I had forgotten about for 20 years, looked as good as the day I put them away.

Use of BT on drawn combs in your swarm traps is "A#1" also.

Now for the sad news............in the USA it is not labeled for use on honeycomb (doesn't say you can't). Many years ago it was sold as Certan or B401 for this very purpose. Still available and listed for this very use in Canada (can't remember what catalog I saw it in). Not sure why they will not get it listed again for the USA, must cost out the ying yang for that. But anyway, it most definitely does work!! 

Disclaimer.... I am not suggesting that you use this product in any other way than what it is labeled for.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 04:54:30 am »
Just another note..............there are several different strains of BT, you are wanting the one that targets the diamond back moth. Agree WG - Bt Aizawai Powder

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 10:01:11 am »
Now for the sad news............in the USA it is not labeled for use on honeycomb (doesn't say you can't). Many years ago it was sold as Certan or B401 for this very purpose. Still available and listed for this very use in Canada (can't remember what catalog I saw it in). Not sure why they will not get it listed again for the USA, must cost out the ying yang for that. But anyway, it most definitely does work!!  

Disclaimer.... I am not suggesting that you use this product in any other way than what it is labeled for.
G3farms...

Did you look at Reply #6 must be old times set in HEHEHE and yes I did buy Certan in the USA about 1980 or so and I know it works for 7-8 years.

This as the Canada supple house

http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=401

BEE HAPPY Jim 134:)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:15:04 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 12:31:27 pm »
I use moth crystals (Dichlorobenzene) when storing supers for the winter. Please note: these are not moth balls.

I stack the supers 6-8 high (mediums), put 3-4 table spoons on a paper plate and place it on the top super then cover the stack (making it almost air tight. In spring, I just air the supers for a few days before use. I use this method because it has worked but I am not saying other methods are bad.  - Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:01 pm »
Thanks G3, I will use the newspaper technique that you do

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 11:50:52 pm »

G3farms...

Did you look at Reply #6 must be old times set in HEHEHE and yes I did buy Certan in the USA about 1980 or so and I know it works for 7-8 years.

This as the Canada supple house

Yep read it afterwards!! The 20 year old drawn comb I was talking about above, the news paper was dated 1987.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 08:37:40 pm »
does anyone have a source for BT in the states?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 10:41:20 pm »
http://hidhut.com/catalog/xentari-bt-p-31.html

this is a link but the smallest amount you can buy is 1 pound, that will last the hobby guy forever.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/2106-Agree-WG-Bt-Aizawai-Powder

a link to sundance who sells a different brand and will break the amounts down, have been having a hard time getting in touch with him though.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 01:41:25 am »
Have a look through your local plant nursery, they should be selling smaller sizes for home gardeners to use against cabbage moth etc...

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 12:12:14 pm »
it looks like certan ( B401 ) & Xen-Tari BT are pretty much the same. the local nurseries carry some BT packaged by Fertilome & Hy-Yield which are actually the company. i talked to their rep. who told me their products are not safe for bees. so if you are looking for BT locally check with the manufacturer before using. i'm going with the Xen-Tari since they are in the states & do not want any hassles with customs.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 12:51:13 pm »
does anyone have a source for BT in the states?

I have had great service with HidHut as G3 mentioned.  If you do a search on the forum you can see others have as well.

Why is CERTAN no longer available in the US?   If memory serves me correct.  I believe the company that was marketing it and had it registered in the US was bought out by a bigger company who was not interested in CERTAN.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 01:59:51 pm »
it looks like certan ( B401 ) & Xen-Tari BT are pretty much the same. the local nurseries carry some BT packaged by Fertilome & Hy-Yield which are actually the company. i talked to their rep. who told me their products are not safe for bees. so if you are looking for BT locally check with the manufacturer before using. i'm going with the Xen-Tari since they are in the states & do not want any hassles with customs.

Hint:

The label is the law (because this is "off label" use)

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:32:59 pm by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

anything